1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2500 hemi

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by rstan2010, Dec 3, 2009.

1. rstan2010

rstan2010 Member
    from Troy MI

Hey guys I'm pretty new to this site and I wanted to ask what average MPG you guys are getting with your 2500 HEMI plowing? I am getting 8-9 city driving without a plow and cant imagine what ill be getting while plowing.
  2. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I get around 5 MPG pushing a V-plow with a 2004 regular cab
  3. JohnMeyer

JohnMeyer Member

That's about right for a 3/4 ton pickup in city traffic. Plowing will probably be about 3 - 4 gallons per hour of plowing. You have a real "Work Horse" there, that truck will move anything that mother nature throws at you. Figure the fuel consumption in to your price.
  4. Canuck9c1

Canuck9c1 Junior Member

interesting......................how much better does a Cummin's diesel factor in regarding MPG and plowing?? (automatic transmission) just curious,,,,,,........
  5. leepotter

leepotter Senior Member

Comparing my Father's 04 3500 dually Cummins to my 07 1500 Hemi on the highway he gets about 23mpg and I get about 15mpg. So just from that I would say its gotta be better on fuel when plowing.
  6. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

I get about 12 driving around and 5-6 plowing. The engine sucks a lot of gas, but it sure likes to go.
  7. rstan2010

rstan2010 Member
    from Troy MI

Well what are you guys getting hauling a trailer?
  8. leepotter

leepotter Senior Member

My Dad gets about 13 on the highway in that Cummins Dually pulling a 40ft travel trailer.
  9. hikeradk

hikeradk Senior Member

9-10 on average with the v-plow and 12-14 without it.
  10. dakotaskustoms

dakotaskustoms Senior Member

I have the Superchips Cortex Tuner installed on the Towing Tune ...
    Stock I was getting 12.2MPG City. With the new tune it jumped to 14.8 City. Today, plowing in 4" wet snow .. I got 12.6 average over the 6hrs I was out with the 8.5 Vee. $300 for the tuner, but I figure it will pay for itself pretty quick this winter with mileage improvements like that. The tuner has made low end grunt work very responsive and fun to plow with. Last season, without the tuner I was consistently getting 7-9MPG while plowing with the same plow.
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  11. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Much better. I got approx 334 miles out of my last fill-up. It was about 31.5 gallons. That's better than 10 mpgs and included 8 hours of plowing, and the plow was on the truck that entire tank-full.
  12. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

today plowing I avg 14 with my cummins all around town....day to day driving in town I get 18-19 without plow and highway I get consistent 23's...stock