1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2500 HD with fisher XLS

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by snow game, Nov 23, 2008.

1. snow game

snow game Senior Member
    from RI

I'm thinking of buying a new 2500 HD Chevy with 6.0 motor and installing the New XLS on it. Is this plow too heavy for that truck. Does anyone have the XLS, any Problems?

2. csx5197

csx5197 Senior Member

I'm going to tell you. That plow is probably too heavy for the front. I want to get one too, so I can't tell you no because that'd be contradicting myself. Definitely look at timbrens for the weight issue.

3. Jt13speed

Jt13speed Senior Member

Nah man if ya got the 6.0 gasser, that plow will be fine. Its when you have a heavy duramax that you should worry about weight. Either put in Timbrens or Crank up the t-bars on the front to get some better clearance. Make sure you run with alot of weight in the back of the truck to give you traction and offset some of the weight on the front. So far everyone ive read about on this and other sites that have the XLS absolutely love it, the only thing that was an initial issue were the wing rubber peices wearing out and cracking, but i think DD (fisher's mother company) was working on solving that issue on newer plows.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2008
  4. snow game

snow game Senior Member
    from RI

I checked on Fishers web site and it doesn't list the xls for the 2500HD, But its the truck I want and the plow I want, I don't sell my trucks, I roll them over into the fleet, so I don't want to kill it. I have an 01 with the dmax and 8' straight blade, and that front end always dropped alot, but still runs strong. My 350 extended cab doesn't move when I pick up that straight blade, but I don't like the ford as much. Btw help me out Timbrens? How do you crank up the t-bars?
    Thanks!

5. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

That truck will work for that plow. It's listed when I type my stuff into Ematch. I have a 2002 GMC 2500HD Ext. Cab,w/ 8', & a 6.0. It's more then enough truck for that blade in my opinon.

6. snow game

snow game Senior Member
    from RI

Would ther be a difference because I'm looking at a 6.5' bed?

7. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Just more ballast. Mine calls for 610lbs ballast....

I recommend going with the 6.5 to plow with. I have a VERY long truck, I get the job done rather efficient, however I would go with the shorter bed next time around.