1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2500 HD Vibration

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Favatts, Oct 20, 2006.

1. Favatts

Favatts Member
    from CNY

I was wondering if anybody had any insight on this.
    About 2 months ago I noticed some vibration in my 04 2500 HD with 30,000 miles on it. I took it to my Chevy dealer and they said I had "excessive road force" on 2 of my tires. The tires are BF Goodrich all terrains that are 1 year and 10 months old with 20,000 miles on them. I found it hard to believe that all of a sudden after that long the tires went bad. But I went with it and went to the place that I got my tires from and got 4 new tires prorated under warranty. Just as I expected the vibration was still there with the new tires. So I took it back to the Chevy dealer to it it checked out again and they said they could not find anything wrong with the truck but 2 of the new tires have excessive road force. They told me that the limit for road force is 30 and one of my tires was 79 and the other one was a 55. Is it possible that I got 2 bad tires again or are they missing something. As a note I find the worst vibration around 45 mph.
  2. joe b

joe b Junior Member

I've had new tires toss balance weights. also the plasic caps come loose.
    Even a bad shock can make a tire bounce like a basketball.
    good luck
  3. corkireland

corkireland Senior Member

I had a similar situation on my little sonoma highrider with the bfgoodrich AT with similar mileage. When I went to trade it in, the dealer had to replace them for that reason. I guess the only way to check it would be to get a different set of tires, brand and all to see if it really is the tires. or... try another dealer to see if they can find something else wrong with it.

4. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

WTF is excessive road force? I've had dozens of Chevy's and never heard of that one. Dealer would be buyin' me a set of tires if I spent the money to have th eprob fixed & it didn't.
  5. DugHD

DugHD Senior Member
    from Maine

I think the dealer has to much stroke force:D .
    It doesnt seem possible to have the problem again after changing the tires. If you dont have 100% confidence in the dealer , i would try another opinion.

-try changing tires around and see if the vibration changes
    -double check u-joints
    -visually inspect drive shafts for dents or bends
    -steering stabilizer
    -wheel bearing? doubtful at 30k miles.

good luck
  6. Favatts

Favatts Member
    from CNY

Excessive road force means the tire is out of round.
    An update, I went to the tire dealer and got the 2 bad tires replaced again with new ones and it still did not help. There is something wrong with the truck, just need to find out. Any idea's?
    Thanks in advance.......Favatts
  7. DugHD

DugHD Senior Member
    from Maine

Try the options i listed , I believe it could be one of them.
  8. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

Are you feeling the vibration in the seat, or in the steering wheel?
  9. Brothers

Brothers Junior Member
    from Toronto

my 03 3500 had a bad shake/vibration at the same speed .. i had 10 000 km ... my shake was in the wheel ...stoopid dealer said same thing..bad tire... turned out i had a bad bearing front left .. :cry:
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2006
  10. Favatts

Favatts Member
    from CNY

I am feeling it the most in the seat. But i also feel it in the steering wheel.
  11. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

Could be the notorious wheel bearings in the truck. Or it could just be the ****** stock shocks.
  12. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

If the dealer was any good they would have swapped tires and rims from a different truck to 100% sure. I had a dealer do that on a car for me. Every one before said it was my aftermarket rims and tires.:realmad: Ended up being a tail shaft bearing.
  13. kuryssnow5

kuryssnow5 Member

Excessive road wear??? i have never heard of something like that. The two tire they are talking about that are wore are they the front or rear?
    If you feeling it in the seat get under the truck and check out the u-joints on the drive shaft. i have an o1 2500hd and i have replaced the u-joint 2 or 3 times in 2.5 years. also if you feeling something in the steering wheel check the tie rods and ball joints. i also had to replace the inner tie rod on the pass. side of my truck also last year.
    Also if I were you i would try to find a good mechanic other than the dealer, i think the the dealer can drag things out and also over chage you.
    it is alway good to get second opinions
  14. SpruceLandscape

SpruceLandscape Senior Member

I had 2 different kinds of vibrations in my 05 2500HD within the first 15000 miles. One in the steering wheel (felt like a bad shock) especially when making a turn, ended up being a common problem on the steering shaft. Dealer installed a new grease fitting or something under warranty and that took care of it. Second vibration I felt was a speed not RPM related vibration in the drivetrain somewhere. If memory serves me right, it came in right around 40mph I think. Dealer(s) screwed me around on that problem for about 5 months saying that it was an exhaust vibration until I finally decided just to trade the truck in. I checked everything I could under that truck and suspect it was probably a U joint or problem with the trans. I also had my brake booster replaced after only 2500 miles on that truck due to it leaking and almost having my brakes fail while getting off the freeway one day. I've always been a Chevy guy, but I don't know if I'll ever buy a new one again. Maybe stick with the older ones if I buy another.
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2006
  15. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

SPruce Is 150 percent right.I had a nasty vibration in my 2004 chevy 1500 when I would get up to around 40 or 50 I felt it in the steering wheel alot and the seat a little.I took it in it was the u joints no more vibration.