1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2500 hd tail lamp problems

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by chris694205, Mar 25, 2011.

1. chris694205

chris694205 Senior Member

hello guys, I own an 03 gmc 2500hd with the 8.1/allison. Just the other day i noticed my passenger side tail lamp was out. Went to the store and replaced the bulb and nothing. So i figured the socket that houses the bulb was bad, so i replaced that and also nothing. I have checked all the fuses under the hood and tested the junction box underneath the box and all of that is fine. Any ideas? i know it could be a bad ground but i cant seem to even find where the grounds are back there?
  2. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

This happen to my bosses truck, Back by the spare tire on the drivers side is a big gray box that all the wires plug in to for your tail lights, trailer lights, ect ect, The little pins on the gray box rust out and break off in the wire ends,. you will need a new gray box and some new wire harnese to the tail lights. Good luck
  3. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

x2. And the last time I purchased one, It was cheap from the dealer,
  4. chris694205

Yeah that's the junction box that is fine
  5. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

If the junction box is ok then the wiring harnes is bad, but look really good at that junction box it's hard to see all the small pins that are there
  6. chris694205

Yea.. I put a new junction box in already
  7. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Do you have a multimeter or test light? Keep tracing the wires back until you get juice. Check your ground at the socket to see if you're missing it or the 12v side or both! You could throw parts at it all day for a tiny break in a wire somewhere
  8. chris694205

Yes I have a test light.. that's my plan today.. I've looked all over but can't find any actual spots where the black wires are grounded
  9. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Junior Member

broken wires

a shorted wire, if grounding on structure, will burn out your fuse
    you just have to keep chaseing sparky back to its source till you find the problem.Thumbs Up