1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2500 HD Lost All Gauges

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Chet, Jan 16, 2004.

1. Chet

Chet Junior Member

2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD. None of my gauges on instrument panel were working today including speedometer. Checked into skematics in owners manual for fuses. Only came across two with mention of instrument panel and they operated other devices along with panel which were working. So I kind of ruled out fuses. So I called dealer and he said bring it right down. Went outside and started up truck and gauges were now working. Had driven and shut off and restarted truck many times in A.M. still with no gauges. Now I've got them back. Any ideas? :confused:
  2. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Funny you should mention that at this time. Yesterday had same problem with heater blower. Dead. Turned truck off and restarted and it worked and is still working. Have not checked yet but my suspicion is an auto reset fuse or relay. It probably has some and yours too.
  3. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

I would just call em everytime it happens and then cancell the appointment. That way they have it in the computer and if there is a problem down the road its doccumented.

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

We just went nuts with a 02 Suburban at work. Had an intermittant problem like that. Seems a module under the seat was corroded from a rain leak. I'll get you more info tommorrow!

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

The module that was bad on that 02 Suburban was the Sensing Diagnostic Module (SDM) under the driver's seat.
    The dealer used a Serial Data Link tester (Kent Moore tool P/N J42236A) on Spice Pak 205 (behind headlamp switch in dash). This tool tests all the circuits and modules in the vehicle and quickly pinpointed the problem with 100% accuracy.
    This 2002 Suburban had a rain leak from an improperly drilled hole in the cowl that was not sealed. The SDM was shoted from getting wet. The driver complained of erratic dash gauge operation upon initial cold startup and occasional erratic operation on bumpy roads. Perhaps some snow on your boots got water into this module? I hope this helps! Good luck!:)
  6. jhook

jhook Senior Member

I lost all my guages on my 2001 2500HD GMC at one point as well. They changed the whole intrument cluster and it has been fine ever since.