1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2500 HD - How do I beef up rear end for increased payload

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Patrick34, Feb 4, 2005.

1. Patrick34

Patrick34 Senior Member

I have a new 2500 HD, is it possible to beef up the rear springs so I can carry more payload (i.e. a 8 ft. salt spreader loaded to the top).

Thanks

2. JCKL

JCKL Junior Member

you can either add air bags or you can add another overload spring to your leafs.

3. dmcenery

dmcenery Member

Rear End Help

I would go with either timbrens or the air bag system for adding additional support to the rear end of your pickup. The additional leaf springs will make for too harsh of a ride when the truck is empty.

4. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

air bags with compressor the ONLY way to go. i love them truck never saggs i have them on 3 trucks and no complaints. use them for flatbed with sander. and towing skidsteer and equipment.

5. 66Construction

66Construction Senior Member

Your truck will carry a normal 8' salter with no sideboards on it with no problem, Mine saged a bit when fully loaded but that was because I never cleaned the yard and a half that was in the bed around the salter from being loaded. I'd run it first and see what you think, the compressor set up is nice but it aint cheap. With a plow on the front a clean bed and 2 yards in the salter you shouldnt really need much more then what GM gave ya. Personally I wouldn't do it, I took the salter out of my 02 it's now in an 87 1 ton dump, it kinda put a hurtin on my truck, it's a lot of abuse for the body!
    Casey

6. snow warrior

snow warrior Member

USE IT STOCK 1st THEN.IF YOU NEED IT GO WITH TIMBRENS