1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2500 HD Ext Cab LS 6.0 - Plowtruck/Landscape/LawnCare/Personal Truck?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PremierLand, Feb 18, 2005.

1. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

I'm really considering buying a new truck in the next few weeks, hopefully, well as soon as I sell my 4x4 I'm buying a new truck. It will be used to plow commercially next year (hopefully with a 810 or 9ft v, and I will do drives with the snowblower), used to landscape (ez dumper in bed), also used to pull a trailer for lawn maintenance, and on top of that it will be my personal truck to get me to and from school, friends houses, and yet still going on dates with the ladies.

During April-Nov, It will really only be put to work from about weds-sunday. Monday and tuesday I usually take off. And in the winter months, well it'll work when it snows.

I'm leaning toward a 05 Chevy 2500hd Ext Cab, LS, 8ft Bed, with the 6.0 auto. I cant afford a ford, well its more expensive, fords reg cab is the same as a Chevy ext cab. Plus the parts manager at the Chevy dealer, Ive known my whole life. I don't know anyone who works at dodge so thats out of the question. My uncle works at ford and even with the A plan, its like 8k more for the same setup as the Chevy on a 250.

What do you think? Is the 2500hd 6.0, LS, Ext Cab, 8ft Bed, good for working + a personal truck (stores, school, friends, and dates)?

I think it is, I just would like some re-enshurement (if thats a word) and see what you guys think as far as a work truck + personal truck. I'm trying to avoid myself from buying the new truck, liking it for a few months, then once the new-ness wears off, hating it and wishing I had something else.

Thanks guys. And please let it snow!
  2. jglandscaping

jglandscaping Senior Member

Hey, Im getting a 2500HD EXT cab 6ft bed in the next 2 weeks or so and will be doing the same thing with it. The only thing different is that I will be using a dump trailer instead of a insert cause I want it to retain its stock appearence. The chevy is way better as a gaser. my .02.
  3. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

Drive the truck for work , buy a corvette for dates with the ladies and sporting around town.
  4. PremierLand

from detroit

Right. I wish!

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

Here is what I don't get about people buiying 3/4 ton trucks, what's the point? Is it a money thing because they don't cost as much? When I went to buy a Ford to get for my landscaping and property service company and for play I went right for a 1 ton SRW because it was like a regular truck I could go out on the town in but still have the highest capability to do work. If it got any tougher I would be up with a dump body. From my point of view I just don't get why someone would go for a 3/4 when they could get a 1 ton.
    Just my thoughts
  6. PremierLand

from detroit

The 3/4 ton rides a little better (maybe? IDK), also, with the Chevy, you get the nice rims. Plus, its illegal to park a one ton in my OWN driveway or in the street (its bs), however, they probably don't enforce it.

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

you can get nice rims with a 1ton, some 1 tons do have the nasty steel rims but with an xlt package you can get nice rims or heck buy them on ebay for cheep. My 1 ton rides as nice as any truck.
    Why is it illegal to park a 1 ton in your own driveway or the street? doesn't make sense. Explain why you say this.
    I am not saying get a Ford 1 ton, I have my reasons to like Ford not going to preach it to anyone and everyone has their choice and reasons.
  8. PremierLand

from detroit

I aggree, but with the chevy 1tons they dont have the nice chrome ones or whatever like they do with the 3/4 tons...

Also, I dont know why its illegal, but it is. My dad owns rental propertys, and one of his tenants has a one ton, and the police almost wrote my dad the ticket instead the tenant.

I posted a thread about it in the off topic section, and some other people have the same law. It doesnt make sense to me either, and I dont think that they would enforce it unless neighbors complained. I think they have it to try to keep everyone from having dulleys on both sides of a narrow street and to prevent dulleys from being parked in a 8ft wide driveway. Ill try to find the link that the thread is in for ya.

I would like to get a oneton, im not worried about getting a ticket because I would get a SRW. But again, Im most likely getting a chevy and some of the options that you get with the 3/4 are avi. with the 1 ton.

Im not getting one until march most likely, well until I sell my ford (someone just called on it and wants to look at it this weekend actually). So Ill consider a 1 ton now that you mention it.
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2005

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

A 1 ton doesn't have to be a Dulley, I have a 1 ton SRW (single rear wheel). So really they are ticketing dual rear wheel trucks not 1 tons?
  10. PremierLand

from detroit

11. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

If you have a problem with parking a 1 ton truck , read the law. Now read it very well. There is probably no definition of a 1 ton truck . Is it a truck that can hold 2000 lbs ? Is it a truck that weighs over 2000 lbs ? An f 150 can carry 2000 lbs . I argued the point against zoning , I won .

PS .dont wish , buy the vette . I am on my 4 th one its a perfectly impractical fun to drive car
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2005
  12. PremierLand

from detroit

lol. you really want me to get into debt and piss my family off dontcha?
  13. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

With the combo your looking at, try and go with a 3500 SRW. While the 2500HD is NOT "just another 3/4 ton truck", the 3500 is really adventageous to have. I had an older K-3500 SRW and it only had an 8600 GVWR....my lowly :rolleyes: new "3/4Ton" 2500HD has a 9200 GVWR. Go figure~!

With the 3500, you'll get the 265 tires, and another 700lb added on to your GVWR. They get an extra leaf spring in the main pack, plus an added overload helper spring. Plus they're cheaper than the 2500HD's.

Use GMBUYPOWERS site and search your area for trucks that meet your needs.

The extended cab comes in real handy (I miss it now that I only have a reg cab), especially when your younger and it's your only vehicle. Later in life, get a car for running around/dates, etc.

Good Luck....
  14. TLC Ken

TLC Ken Member

I was going to say most of the stuff TLS said. It is another 700 lbs, I have an 03 Sierra 2500HD, the 9200 lb, ex cab, and I really like it. It does ride considerably rougher than my 99 1/2 ton, but not nearly as rough as the dually we have too. If you have a lot of potholes in your town, you will notice it with the 3/4 or one ton. I sometimes wish I'd bought the half ton when my little girls are bouncing around in the back seat as I drive through Seattle or Spokane crappy surface streets. But we just bought a 02 tahoe, so that's what we take on the trips now.

I agree with the tohers on this thread: 3/4 tons are the new one tons. The reason everyone used to by one tons is to work, now we all buy 3.4 tons for that. The only true 3/4 tons I remebmer were the camper specials, marketed to be not as rough as the one tons.

Wheels, with chevy the 3/4 and 1 ton use the same polished wheel (I think, they fit my 88 2wd 1 ton). I personally didn't like them too much, so I put them on a work truck (that 88) that reeeaaally needed some better looking wheels.

Another thing, I REALLY like the cloth seats in my 03. I think leather is too slick. I like not sliding around in there. I like the cloth seat console better too, that flips up to another seat in a pinch. Leather console is just there. Saves you about $2200 bucks to get cloth, or it did when I bought mine. I wish I could have got the XM with the cloth package, but oh well. I also like the heater better in the lower trim level, than the top one. My dad has an 05 with that dual climate automatic, and it always feels wrong. My lower trim just has the two sliders, one for each side. Easy. Leather seats do have the seat heaters too, but I don't like those either, feels like I pissed myself.

If you can afford it, pop for that duramax with the Allison trans. in 8/03 it was about an extra 6200 bucks for both. But it will sell better than mine with the 6.0 gas in 3 or 4 years. Plus, you can add 100 hp and 250 lbs of torque for a few hundred dollars with aftermarket chips and things like the Edge attitude.
  15. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

The 810 or any 9 ft blade will weigh over 900 lbs which is alot of weight for the front of a truck. A 1 ton would be best, and if you think you are going to have problems parking it in front of your house you can always change the 3500 emblems to 2500 on the side of the truck.
  16. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i would buy a one ton but chevy only offers it drw instead srw
  17. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

As of 04 Chevy has a 1 ton srw. It comes in either a regular cab, crew cab long bed, or extended cab long bed.

18. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

There is no difference in the front axle or bars on the GM's between the 2500HD and 3500's SRW or DRW.

As ctfan stated, they have been available for over a year now. The key is they MUST be an 8' bed. There isn't enough room on the frame for the helper leaf contact stops.
  19. davidrbean

davidrbean Member

I have an 03 2500hd with the 8100 and tha allison as my daily driver and i love it. I also tow a 33' camper or 21' boat as well as plow with it.wouldnt trade for anything else!
  20. JRSlawn

JRSlawn Senior Member

I would say go sor it I have a 1995 chevy 2500 ext cab with easy dumper in the pic fourm I love it to death. I am planning on also buying a new chevy in the spring to go with my 2004 f 350. I am really not a big ford guy. The chevys are awsome I test drove a new one last spring and loved the power and interior it was a short cab Ls it was loaded. I say go with the 3/4 ton and put a set of timbrens in the back to compensate for your easy dumper. If you can afford one I would go with the aluminum one I know they are expensive but well worth it. Let me know if you have any questions