1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2500 HD dislikes???

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by dirtyriffs, Feb 13, 2004.

1. dirtyriffs

dirtyriffs Junior Member
    from ohio

Any1 dislike something bout the 2500 HD's?? The 03 GMC I drive has some considerable wheel hop. When accelerating and hard breaking sometimes the wheels leave the ground. It's not awful, but annoying .
  2. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

I have a 2003 / 3500 chassis cab with diesel empty wt with plow 9500lbs. I don't have that problem but I can spin the back tires on the truck :)
  3. 10 gauge

10 gauge Junior Member

dislikes??? with the price of trucks that word should not be known ! :nono:
  4. GPB

GPB Member

I have over 50,000 on my 02 and I'm very happy with the truck. It carries the plow well and pulls the Bobcat like nothings there. Only complaint I guess would be gas mileage. 6 liter with 4.10's and I get 11-12 mpg. I do like the power however.
  5. GesnerLawn

GesnerLawn Senior Member

I've got a 2003 Chevy 2500 HD with the 6.0 and 4.10 rear.

2 things. One is that the front end is kind of soft and bobs around a bit when I'm trailering my landscape equipment (single axel 6 x 12). I guess I'll have to tighten up the torsion bars a bit.

The other thing is that the headlights are so bright that people are always flashing their high beams at me or even leaving them on because they're so sure my high beams must be on.

Otherwise I love the truck. Smooth ride, comfortable, plenty of power.
  6. badranman

badranman Senior Member

Another vote for the headlights, I hear ya GesnerLawn. I hate when they do that. I love my truck and my Duramax, no real complaints.
  7. Crodog

Crodog Junior Member

I love the headlights on my 03!!!! they are so bright! I drove my girlfriends dodge the other night and could barely see!!! I don't care if people flash me, I flash them back, I even have the fog lights on most of the time. Great truck, but the milage could be a little better.

8. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

I have a 2001 3/4 HD with the 6.0 and I Love it. All kinds of power,pushes snow very well. It sits up high which I like. I don't know if I would change anything if I could. Best ride in a truck IMO.

Regards Mike

P.S. Will somebody please send some snow to Michigan,have not plowed for about 3 weeks now.:realmad:
  9. GesnerLawn

GesnerLawn Senior Member

Careful, you can get yourself arrested for indecent exposure!:eek:
  10. ih82plow

ih82plow Senior Member

I would say your driving the truck TOO HARD.

Allthough they are such nice trucks You may think your in a car You still have to remember this is a 3/4 ton truck.

Its also easey to get into trouble with this truck if you keep the stance GM sends it out with the front being low and rear high.It give a real unbiased braking because the weight transfers soo quick on a hard brake
  11. BigRedBarn

BigRedBarn Senior Member

This comment may apply to all GM pickups...

I went from a 1992 GMC K1500 regular cab long bed pickup to a 2003 2500HD regular cab long bed. Both trucks have a regular ol' 60/40 cloth-covered bench seat. I cannot believe the reduction in interior space between the 2 trucks. The old truck was huge inside compared to the new one.

I realize that there're reasons for this:

- New freons that don't have the efficieny of the old freons which require larger a/c heat exchangers and such.

- Driver and passenger airbags.

- Side door beams.

But, if I'm not mistaken, aren't these new trucks a bit bigger on the outside??? So, why are these new pickups seem so small on the inside?

I really feel closed in on this new one. The old truck had a gazillion inches of legroom. Even with my long chicken legs I couldn't drive with the seat set all the way back on the old '92 truck; I had to set it on the second- or third-last setting.

That's just my 2½¢.
  12. Don Rauch

Don Rauch Junior Member

Ive read and have talked to friends that work at gm dealership.I have a2002 chevy crewcab shortbed 496 engine allision 5sp auto
    410 posi 9100gvw it also wheel hops they say to change stock shock to a softer one also i have a 8ft ultramount western and i have raise the front end by turning the torsion bars in i raised it up 1inch with blade up. it raised more of coarse with blade off when i get time iwill have to get it realagined.
    hope this info helps
  13. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

You don't want softer shocks. Try putting 500 lbs. of ballast in the bed, rear of wheels.
  14. AVERYX

AVERYX Junior Member

I have a 2003 2500HD Chevy Crew Cab. I must say that I don't have any real complaints about the truck, it has done everything I've asked it to do. Yeah I get horrible gas mileage, but hey you try feeding all those horses.
    Any way just putting in my 2cents.

Here is my 04 GMC 2500HD No complaints here! Just the damn MPG!!!!!!

picture 493.jpg
  16. jrich01

jrich01 Member
    from Ohio

The Pro Cuts Truck Rocks. Awesome Ride!
  17. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

I seem to have unacceptable tire wear outa my 03 2500HD.......but only on the rears :confused: :rolleyes: :D

Door chime

the fact that the skid plate is placed just in the right spot to cause the oil to hit it and drain all over the place, but only after it is 1/2 drained and you get from under the truck were you might have been able to correct it, Had to take a saw to my new skidplate but GM decided to fix this on the 4th year of production finnaly.

I had to have my highbeam indicator reflashed because it was almost blinding.

And I really dont like that wax coating crap on the frame.

I could handle less payments but thats just me

Dont forget about your truck!!!! The best original 1985 3/4 Ive seen!!!!!

picture 313.jpg
  19. nachoschevs

nachoschevs Member

I am glad you occasionally post pics of the old chevy. The more I see it the more I like it. Hopefully it lasts a long time for you. They are the best years ever made in my opinion.
  20. jrich01

jrich01 Member
    from Ohio

Hey now .. thats my truck!