1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2500 hd all new brake lines

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by slimquinella, Apr 6, 2012.

1. slimquinella

slimquinella Member
    from maine

yup today went to check out my brake light, need to replace all the brake lines lucky me, there goes 700 bucks
  2. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Yep. Been there done that
  3. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

Any chance you have the ability to do it yourself? If you are proficient in cutting and flaring brake lines it's a pretty simple job, just time consuming.
  4. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

There not bad to do takes me about 4 or 5 hours to do them all. Usualy the bleeders on the calipers are junk too.

SNOWANDICEMAN Senior Member

I did mine with the stainless steel lines from inline tube.
  6. gmcdan

gmcdan Senior Member

when i do mine i put a coat of por 15 on them .
  7. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

You can buy complete stainless line kits so it's just a bolt in job
  8. crazyboy

crazyboy Senior Member
    from NJ

I'm going to have to do mine sooner than later, and these are what I'm going with. Price isn't unreasonable.
  9. slimquinella

slimquinella Member
    from maine

i got the copper plated nickel lines, It cost a bit for the brake job but i'd rather be with brakes then without brakes
  10. sledrider2005

sledrider2005 Member

where can i get a full s.s. brakeline kit for a 2500hd crew cab thanks
  11. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

One of my rear lines ruptured a few years ago and I had the rears done, cost me $800. Gotta do the fronts at some point.
  12. brad96z28

13. brad96z28

No need to do that if u use good brake line.
  14. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

I went out this morning with 26inches on the road and before i got out of driveway i lost a line. And lost alot of $$$
  15. shovelracer

shovelracer Senior Member

Look up Classic tube or Inline tube. I've done a 2500 hd a few times. Not worth the hassle to make them when you can buy perfect lines for basically a hundred or so more than cost. I use Classic. Great product but their communication stinks. Usually 1 week on Chevy. Best to call.
  16. Grambo170

Grambo170 Junior Member

I purchased my truck from a dealer in May 2012 truck in for service June 2012 brake line ruptured on dealer replaced line and all new calipers due to severe rusted in, 2nd brake line rupture July 2012 returned to dealer ask if needed replace all brake lines they only did the ruptured one. September 2012 had to do an emergency stop for oncoming police vehicle third brake line ruptured and hit vehicle in front of me, Luckily for me the other drive was in a real rush and didn't want to talk about it, says no damage and leaves. Back to dealer and what a discussion I had with the general manager,in the end all brake line in entire truck replaced. NO COST .....My truck is a 2006 silverado 2500HD crew cab.

So everyone know you should go to the NTSHA web site and file your truck under complaints and keep all receipts of work done. Hopefully they will do a recall and maybe get some money back.
  17. shovelracer

shovelracer Senior Member

6-8 years is the range on east coast trucks. It should be made good practice to replace at 5 years from my experience.
  18. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

19. hammerstein

hammerstein Senior Member

I just replaced the rear line on my 06 2500 with 19,000 miles. I also noticed a small fuel leak on the lines to the engine so I put those on also. I sprayed all lines with fluid film probably a little late but couldn't hurt. Taking the bed off made the rear line very easy. There is no reason that these should be leaking this soon.
  20. icudoucme

icudoucme Senior Member

What year and how many miles? Mine is a 04 2500hd and had 100,200. I replaced with SS. Fuel lines might need it in the neck few months