1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2500 GMC 454 with 4L80E trans ?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by snowlovr, Nov 12, 2013.

1. snowlovr

snowlovr Junior Member

I am looking at buying a 1999 GMC with 113,000 miles and has the 454 (7.4) engine with a 4L80E transmission. I was wondering what kind of mpg to expect and is that a reliable transmission? Am putting a 8-2 v plow boss on it and dont think that will be an issue. Just would like to hear from the experts on this set up? I appreciate any input before diving into this truck. :)
  2. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 1999 3500 setup. It has proven reliable for us, transmission was rebuilt at roughly 90k. I never really checked mileage, unloaded when new it wasn't bad I remember getting 16 on a highway trip.
  3. 98K3500

98K3500 Member
    from WI

In-laws run a 1996 K3500 with the same engine/trans. Rear ratio of 3.73.

They use it to plow about 6 acres of hotel lot, and have since 1999. The plow is a Boss 8.2 Power-V.

The guys driving it beat the snot out of it, and maintenance consists of fixing stuff as it breaks. Nothing preventative at all. Makes me sick to be honest.

That being said, it's been very solid/reliable. They are at 120K at this point.

Mileage seems to always be around 10. Does not matter if it's full, empty, or towing.

Hope that helps.

4. snowlovr

snowlovr Junior Member

Thanks guys, it is very helpful. figure i would not get very good mpg but glad it sounds like a reliable set
  5. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

I have a 98 reg cab/ long bed 4x4 with this engine and tranny combo and get between 9-12mpg depending on what I'm doing with the truck. You will never get great mileage but it should be a solid drivetrain. Mine only has 106,000 miles on it. I bought it used back in 2007 with 94,600 miles on it. The only things I've done to the engine and tranny was give it a tune-up and had the distributor replaced because of broken screw down tabs. I also replaced the valve cover gaskets and flushed the radiator fluid. Tranny has only had fluid and filter change.