1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

250 or 292?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by joseph, Jan 12, 2000.

1. joseph

joseph Junior Member

Is there an easy way to tell the difference between a 250 and a 292? I've been told I have a 250, and a 292. I've tried reading the numbers on the engine, but they're just about impossible to see.
  2. fisher

fisher Junior Member

I'm in the same boat as u Joseph. I just got a '70 C10 and I don't know if it has a 250 or a 292, however, I can read the numbers on mine. My problem is I'm looking for a place (preferably a website) that can decipher the V.I.N. numbers and the engine numbers. <br>Does anybody have any ideas?<br>thanx in advance.<p>Fisher.
  3. dabear

dabear Junior Member

www.inliners.org/casting/numbers.hml has most of the numbers.
  4. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

I'm thinking that the 292 is a much bigger block. That thing was used in C50 and C60 models back in the 70s and maybe later. I though there was smaller six (230 inch range) that shared blocks with the 250.