1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

25 Series Predator Light Bar Problem

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by snowpusher05, Oct 8, 2006.

1. snowpusher05

snowpusher05 Junior Member

Hi all! I am having probelm with my older 25 series plow. I can't get the light bar to raise up to connect to the plow mount. I know there is power getting to the motor because I can hear it turning. If I am correct the down pressure unit controls the light bar movement. I have tested power, resistance and ground at the pressure switch as well as the electric coil mounted on the down pressure valve block. These all tested good. Is it possible that the hydraulic lines have a blockage or am I looking at a valve block replacement? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! :confused:

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Is it full of fliuid? are all the wires connected to the valves?

3. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

You actually do not need hydraulic power to move the light bar to the top pin position. If you have the lower pins installed, put the plow in the "float position". This will allow you to manually raise the light bar and get the top pin installed. Once you have done this is the plow operating properly in all functions? I would agree with Basher to check the fluid level and also check that all electrical connections are good at the coils.:nod:

Tom O'Brien
    District Sales Manager
    Sno-Way International Inc.

4. snowpusher05

Thanks for the replies guys! Yes the fluid is topped off at the fill mark and all of the wires are connected. I should also mention that I can get the light bar to move down under power but cannot get it to come back up. I'm not sure of what you mean by "float position". Does this mean I just have the down pressure turned off. I have tried to push the bar up by hand but the hydraulic cylinder will not let me do it. The only way I have been able to connect the bar is by jacking the front of the plow up with the two lower pins attached until the bar hole lines up with the mount. Once I get all three points connected the plow functions in all directions properly. The only reason this problem came to my attention is last year i could raise the bar under power and this year I cannot. If I can raise the bar manually I don't care either way, but if I have to jack up the front of the plow every time I want to connect it I would rather get it fixed.

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Bad down pressure switch in the control box?

6. snowpusher05

I thought of that too. So I checked the power and grounds getting to the down pressure unit will I turned the pressure on. The connections tested 12 volts with good grounds. This tells me the switch is routing the power where its supposed to.

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

are you sure you have the sequencing correct

Down pressure on
    switch in the down position (float)

Do you have a predator paw (also known as the jack control switch) located on the side of the pump cover?

8. snowpusher05

I think I may have found my problem! Underneath the pressure switch in the valve block is a valve that I found stuck. I pushed on it with a screwdriver and it moves freely now. I'm going to hook up my truck tonight and see if it fixes the problem. I'll post back here with my findings. Thanks!

9. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I think what was meant by "float" was the down position. that is how I mount mine. With the harness connected and the switch in the down, or float position I manually pull the light bar up till the pin can slide through. The cylinder will not move if the plow is in the up or carry position. Of course the down pressure is turned off for doing this.