1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

$25 per 50# bag of salt applied? Any ideas for salt in Iowa?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by kruser6, Aug 7, 2009.

1. kruser6

kruser6 Member
    from Iowa

Does this sound competitive?

Where do you guys find the price for a 50# bag of salt averaging out to be?

I have been calling all around but I can't find anyone selling it right now so there is no price available for me. Being my first year doing salting I am having a hard time coming up with a number for a bid. One of my competitors charged $25 last year so if I go there should I be ok?

Thanks fellas!

2. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Is your competitor buying semi loads of salt at a time (getting a good deal on the salt)? If so, can you/do you have the means to get the same deal? That will effect things.....Prices among other things vary from place to place.........I dont charge that way on walks, it is usually by the bag($/each) + hourly rate = total for salting walks , or a flat charge to come and salt the walks each time. So, as I read this post about pricing it $ per bag applied, I did some quick math on my sidewak stuff and I have places that this method tells me, I am getting anywhere from less than $20/bg applied to over $50/bg applied. The more bags get applied, the cheaper it gets, for the most part . My largest spot takes between 10 - 18 bags per trip (depends on time of day & conditions), and then there is spots that take only 1/2 bag or so.................................so to answer your question in a way, it seems my average price would be around $35/bag applied,,,I dont like that method, because its 2 general. I would not be able to charge that to an account around here that takes 12 bags, at least not the bigger ones I have.

3. kruser6

kruser6 Member
    from Iowa

It's looking like an avg. from $3-5, so I feel I can definitely be competitive with $25. These are averages I have found around IA. Still looking for a specific supplier.

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

$3-$5 in Iowa is cheap for bags. We got it for around $6.50 for a 70lb bag last year.
    Nobody has salt prices here till end of Sept. We buy pallets at a time to save an extra 10% too.