1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

25 Acres - 2 Trucks

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BOSS LAWN, Sep 3, 2012.

1. BOSS LAWN

BOSS LAWN Senior Member

I recently got a 25 acre apartment building, right now I have 2 trucks ready to go. If it snowed tomorrow, Im thinking it would take us about 5 hours to plow.

about 9 seperate parking lots, speed bumps every 50-75 feet on the main entry ways and constant traffic. 5 hours seem right with 2 trucks?

2. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

What type of plows are you running? That will have a big impact. A skid with a pusher would help out a lot,but I have not seen the property so I can't really tell you production times. Speed bumps are not fun to deal with. Late at night and you forget one there and bam. Something is broke and it may be your face hitting the windshield!

3. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

If your taking 25 acres of asphalt parking surface your waaaay low on time. I find a lot of people say a "25 acre site", then dont bother to take out the lawn, building, or 15 acre wooded area. Generally the accepted production number for a pickup with 8' straight blade is about an acre an hour, then adjust for difficulty.

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Yeah, no way you're plowing 25 acres of cut up parking area in 5 hours with two pickups. Is it actually 25 acres of hottop?

5. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

Lets see some pics of the property.....

6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

We could care less how big the property is. How much ashphalt is there?

7. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 20 acre site - 20 acres of pavement - we use two 3 yard wheel loaders, 2 trucks wont cut it

8. csi.northcoast

csi.northcoast Senior Member

if it truly is 25 acres of apartment parking lot.... 2 truck is never going to cut it what about area for piling snow.?? you would be better off with a couple of skips with pushes so you dont bury cars parked... but i really would find it hard to believe 25 acres of paved surface for an apartment complex.... heck some malls don't eaven have that

9. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Uhhh, no, not if it's 25 acres of pavement.

10. BOSS LAWN

BOSS LAWN Senior Member

11. G.Landscape

G.Landscape Senior Member
    from Ontario

OK, lets get something straight here.... its all the driveway and parking areas around the buildings with the triangles on the roofs?

If so I measured approx 6 acres of plow-able area. Some may say more but I didn't account for all the parking spaces since the majority of the time they will be filled with cars. So in this case yes 2 guys 5 hours would be fine if you have experience plow drivers and something other then a straight blade.

How do you get referring to this as a 25 acre site? If you measured the entire property that is useless info. If I have the wrong property then sorry.

12. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

^ x2.......

13. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Maybe 5 trucks in 4 hrs ,not a straight push anywhere.What does this place look like after midnight?

14. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Assuming the scale on Google is correct, I measure from 65th to Zane and Douglas Rd to County Rd 14 and I come up with about 6.5 acres.

Then again, I would never try to give an estimate without looking at a lot--especially an apartment complex--a couple times at different times of the day.

There's a lot of unproductive time in those lots, I would guesstimate more than half your time will be backing up, turning around, lining up to pull out areas, etc.

15. BOSS LAWN

BOSS LAWN Senior Member

Thanks for the responses, I measured & walked the entire property.

16. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

And what was your measurement ?

17. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

^^^^^^

What he said.

18. NLS1

NLS1 Senior Member

Well, not real sure from the pics but all those apartment spots in the picture with only two trucks sounds unlikely in 5 hours. Maybe its only part of the picture?

Not sure what all is included, but a tractor with blade and blower, skid steer and a truck for salt, maybe more. That is if it pays.

Could you be more specific? What did you actually measure it up as?

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  19. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Buehler?

Buehler??

20. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

With 2 trucks, the account probably will not be worth it, IMO, you could pick up alot of other less hassle accounts in the time you'd spend there, and with a lot less "dead time".