1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

$25,000 for This - see pic

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MatthewG, Sep 24, 2014.

1. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

I am grateful for the call and the opportunity.....

This is a seasonal, offered at $25,000

It is about 11.5 acres, average snowfall is 30" which is about 8 plowings and 12 saltings (on a good average year)

I was thinking a lot more, but I am welcome for your negative comments since I feel like I price things high.

Shopping center, food store gas station, Hospital Dr Office, Dollar stores, strip mall, etc. Lots of islands,shopping carts etc.

2. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

I would walk not enough money
  3. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Sorry is that salt included if so walk
    If salt is extra I would consider
  4. abbe

abbe Senior Member
    from RI

Seems low even with your low average snow. That is a lot of pavement to be responsible for. Renting a loader for the season? Sub contracting a piece of heavy equipment in there?
  5. MatthewG

Salt Included, bulk and sidewalk, although not many sidewalks, as they are covered by the building canopy
  6. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Unless you are light on plowing seems like a lot if work
    If you can Handel it with and need it go for it but I say pass
    I would be closer to $40 in my area
  7. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

Look at it this way
    8 plows at $2000 each is $16,000. sounds like plenty. That leaves $9000. for 12 salts and I am thinking 8 of the salts will be done while your out plowing. Those numbers look good to me, the question is do have the extra equipment to use or have to rent.
  8. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Add up salt cost this year and calcium for walks
    Time to go back after cars are gone don't think for the time it will take with the machinery it sounds at low end
  9. mike6256

mike6256 Senior Member

I looked at this last year and walked. Little to low for me but I like you seem to price little higher.... If you take it I may have one truck for you.
  10. MatthewG

I already told the customer Id pass, even before I posted this thread. He did ask where I would be, honestly double would be better maybe 40K, its an aggravating lot for sure. I didn't respond with a counter offer yet

I have the extra backhoe and skid steer(at a low seasonal cost to rent), but wheel loader I do not

Hes really trying to sell me "on a low snowfall season"

If its any consolation, I passed on a 3.3 acre Weis market for a $16,000 seasonal, partially because it was too far away
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
  11. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

We all know some one will take it at that price
    Sounds like you have a Good name and rep
    Stick to the people who are willing to pay for it not just hire you and drop you next year when some will do it for less
    I only sign 3-5 year contracts maybe if you can get him up some and sign a long term contract maybe then you could consider it
    If you do put limits on salt and snow per push so worst case you can break even but not loose
  12. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

That's not bad. I was offered a Weis at a similar size for $18k. I just laughed and said good luck.
  13. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

2000.00 per plow? divide that between shovelers,loaders, skids plow trucks,sounds like a big time loser or a break even deal to me ! Plus ,whats the tolerance? May have to camp out on this one job and plow it a couple times.This business is getting really silly:dizzy: This is a loader job,trucks alone worthless.I made that on a 3 acre site here in ct last year and I'm not getting rich by any means.
  14. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

2" snowfall, 11.5 acres, even with the islands, I think I could get it done in 7-8 hours, with a properly outfitted truck.

Some of y'all that see "acres" immediately think it takes loaders hours and hours are ridiculous. If you use the industry average of 1 acre\hour\truck and 8' plow, this is a 12 hour lot. Loaders are far more efficient. So that time should be going down drastically.

An hour of setup with a truck or skid steer. 3 hours with a loader, tops. Have no idea on shoveling and would have to see the lot when it's busy to determine the amount of salt.
  15. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

Mark I agree, we do the Meijers store here in Lapeer its about 13.5 acres of parking lot plus the gas station and roadways. I can do it with a 14ft box and a pick up in 4 to 5 hrs depending on the snow depth. I sometimes stay a little longer to clean up parking spots from shift change or the truck docks from trucks that have moved. I thought for the amount of snow and number of pushes it wasn't bad. Someone will take it for that.
  16. Ne1

Ne1 Senior Member

I would have passed also but in reality here in the midwest market it probably would have gone even cheaper.
  17. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I'm with Leigh on this. I don't understand how you could plow that for $2000 on a 2" snowfall. **And actually make money**

I know someone will do it for $25,000 but damn, that's a lot of work for that money.
  18. PrecisionS&I

PrecisionS&I Member
    from Ohio

That would be in the 28k-32 range here if we got your snow fall totals.
  19. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

20. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

crapshoot . low to me , whoever had it last year got crushed between the 5-7th event at that price . they spent more than half that in material and fuel. T&M it if at all possible.