1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

24d downpressure issue

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by cambridgeplace, Jan 22, 2009.

1. cambridgeplace

cambridgeplace Junior Member

I posted this in the wrong forum by accident first go round, so here it is in the right area...

Ok guys, what do you think the deal is here??? Sno-Way 24d plow

Today since it is nicer weather, I decided to change the hydraulic fluid. It hasn't been done for a few years, and I was having issues with it creeping down on me while driving. Sure enough, crap caught in the check valve. Got that all done, but now am presented with a new set of problems...

When I flip the down pressure switch, the plow raises instead of lowering. It will lower just fine without the down pressure switch flipped up. I have checked the wiring 8 or 10 times to make sure everything is correct, and it is.

Other symptoms...

Plow "hangs" for a split second midway down on the down drop without down pressure switch on.

Can now push against the light bar without it hooked to the truck and EASILY push the up/down cylinder in and out.

My thought is bad lift cylinder, or bad down pressure switch.

Any suggestions to try? Is there a way to check the lift cylinder to determine if that is in-fact the problem?

Thanks, and any advise would be much appreciated.
  2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

3. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

i posted in the other thread that the dp uses two coils to open so im guessing that one coil is bad... as basher said the coil will magnatise but the service manual should help
  4. Levi5497

Levi5497 Junior Member

Had the same problem with mine just the other day, the solenoid on the four way valve stuck, heated it up and everything was fine. You might have introduced water in the system during the change out, a little Isopropyl? ( spelling) might help you out with that.
  5. cambridgeplace

The piece that is supposed to move inside the 4 way valve seems to be stuck. Any ideas on how to free it up? I can move it with a little force, but it does not return without tapping the base on the workbench. I tried compressed air, and a bunch of crap came out of it, but cannot seem to get it working correctly yet. Hate to spend the $ for the part if I can get this one freed up and working again. I hope that is all the issue is.

Coil magnatizes some of the time. Is is supposed to be magnatized when up, down, or downpressure is switched on or all 3 times? I didn't see anything in the manual about when it is supposed to be magnatized.

thanks for the input so far everyone.

6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Make sure the solid Blue wire is making contact too.
    Just replace the valve, it will be worth the money.
  7. cambridgeplace

Well, as suggested, I replace the valve :cry: EXPENSIVE, but all my problems disappeared. Thanks everyone for the solution for this issue.