1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

243 AMP draw at 2000 psi, I got a question

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by JimRoss, Dec 29, 2010.

1. JimRoss

JimRoss Member

Having a new 7.6" Poly installed in my 1500 Chevy Friday. I was told I only needed 1 battery in the vehicle ( I needed 2 in my old 78 Chevy w/ cable type Western blade ). Then I read the boss web site, and it states the plow pulls 243 AMPs at 2000 psi:
    http://service.bossplow.com/Documents/straight_specs.pdf

Am I heading for trouble with only 1 battery? Only specs I could find about my Alt, is it is either a 145 amp or a 160 amp ( I have HD trailering package, so most likely 160 amp ). But still, 160 amps going against 243 amp draw?

I'm sure I'm missing something here, that's why I'm asking.

2. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

The way this winter is going I wouldn't worrie about it now. HAH! I think you'll be fine. I ran a vee blade with 1 battery, and on my older truck I ran straight blade with 1 battery also.

3. milwaukeevtwin

milwaukeevtwin Senior Member

Battery

I have 5 trucks plowing this year. I run single batteries in all of them they all sit outside accept one. My half ton is has a strobe kit a electric salter and a 7/6 western ultramount with a led light bar. All of my trucks have been upgraded with 2 or 0 gauge wiring and all are running 160 amp alternators accept my half ton wich runs a 200 amp alt. The reason is because of the salter. But when you think about it i never plow with the salter on. A little over kill. A 160 would be fine. As far as batteries i am running 5 different ones. DO NOT BUY A DURALAST. I am experimenting with the others. So far i love theDiehard Gold. A little expensive but worth it. The truck it is in was down for a week and we cranked on that thing for three days trying to get it figured out and it never died. Hope i helped you out.
    Thanks, Ron

4. JimRoss

JimRoss Member

Thanx guys, makes me feel a little better.

Miltwin... When you state you upgraded to 2 or 0 gauge, I'm not sure which wires your talking about. I'm having this installed, so I assume they'll use the proper gauge.

5. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

he is talking about the battery cables that run from the trucks battery to the plows motor. The red and black ones. Not the big black controller one.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

243 AMP is the maximum design spec. Most pull less than 190 and that is squealing against the relief which you shouldn't be doing for any length of time anyway. Raising is where you'll see the most power draw (other than holding against the relief) and that should be in the 150-160-ish range. So your existing truck setup is acceptable as is. However if this is a commercial application bigger is always better...whether it's battery's, alternator, or larger power cables. ;)

7. JimRoss

JimRoss Member

Thanx BB

I'm buying this for home use, but I'm hoping to find a 1/2 dozen driveways to help pay for it.

8. milwaukeevtwin

milwaukeevtwin Senior Member

Wires

I run zero gauge battery ground. Battery power. To fuse panel under hood. Solenoid and alternator. I also over kill to the starter, but my trucks sit out. I was always told the smallest wire will end up carring the most current, So i upgrade as much as possible for charging and starting. I am a firm believer in this since i have did it to all my trucks and they all sit out with no starting problems.