1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

24 volts from 2500HD plow prep

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by turco580superL, Dec 29, 2008.

1. turco580superL

turco580superL Junior Member
    from Maine

I have the typical two battery set up in my silverado 2500, I don't have a plow wired and dont plan to. How have some of you wired to get a 24 volt jumper(similar to tow trucks) off the batteries...I'm looking for a permanant plug under the grill. Just to jump my 24 volt backhoe in cold weather. Anyone have this, that can tell me wich posts to hook to and did you use any other switching to isolate the truck? I found side terminals to replace the stock ones that have a threaded post to attach a lug and cable to. Thanks for any help...not an electrician here, but I know it's possible. Two jumper cables are cumbersome! Thanks Ross

2. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

i deff would not do it , while connected to ur truck

3. snowandgo

snowandgo Senior Member

you have to have a seperate isolated battery that is not hooked into the truck system, other than the charge wire (run through a aux. battery isolater). and then disconnect the ground to run the batteries in series and get your 24 volts.

Other option would be to add two dedicated batteries (or one 24V) and a 24v alternator. You'd be better off buying a portable jump start unit.

4. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

Just cause you have 2 12 V batteries, doesnt mean you double it. They are hooked up in Parallel to still give you 12 V. If they were in Series it would be 24V but your truck would not like it very much. Do what the others said. Dedicated set up or jump pack.

5. turco580superL

turco580superL Junior Member
    from Maine

I hope that with the use of switches and proper connection, that the two can safely be wired in series to give the 24 I want/need.

6. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

Why not just buy a 24v jumper pack? Don't be throwing your truck up on craigslist after something gets fried.

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Its complelty do-able with a series-parrallel solenoid and a toggle switch since you already have the two batterys.

Here's what I use: 12V-to-24V series/parrallel solenoid

They're actually intended to be used on the vehicle that its installed upon but with a few extra cables from your current battery's to the solenoid and then out to a quick connect plug you then use it to jump 24V vehicles instead. If you wire it correctly it will have zero interaction with the installed vehicle. They're a very well built solenoid that lasts for years so don't let the price scare you away.

I have one brand new one left (still in the box) if your interested in that route as well. Give you a fair deal on it. :waving: