1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

24 hours

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by RAT, Sep 7, 2003.

1. RAT

RAT Junior Member

How do you handle shopping centers that are open 24 hrs?
    I know what I would bid if the store had regular hours. Is there a % that your guys add to come up with a revised price for that chance you will have to plow around parked cars?

2. snowjoker

snowjoker Senior Member

I would think that you would just have to be careful and plow around parked cars. and just plow in the early hours where there is less congestion in the lot.
  3. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

I would assume that if the store is open 24 hrs you would have to keep coming back to make sure the parking lot is atleast open so people can get in and out.Later at night or early morning when there is less cars i would come back and clear it all up.I would charge a little higher for the fact that you have to keep going back through out the storm.
  4. wyldman

wyldman Member

You can charge a bit more for them being open 24 hrs,but not much.

You just clean it up in sections,and most of the cars coming in will park in the clean areas.As the other cars move out,you clean up the other areas.

The areas where the cars park will be self cleaning in some ways,as you don't get as much accumulation,as the cars cover the spots,and they drag in an drop salt around for you.

If it's a big lot,like a Home Depot,it's not so bad,but if it's something like a busy little 7-eleven with only a few spots,it's a lot harder.You will end up waiting for poeple to move.
  5. RAT

RAT Junior Member

The lot is very large 12.85 acres
    I am bidding on a super Wal-mart
    I have been watching the stores traffic since it was opened a few months ago and it always has at lease 40 cars there even at 1:30 a.m.
  6. wyldman

wyldman Member

It should be no problem then,as you have lots of area to work with.When you first get on site,clean a small area (50-60 cars worth),and salt it heavy to prevent further accumulation.Use traffic cones to direct incoming traffic into the freshly cleared lot.Most will go there anyways.Then go clean up the rest of the lot,and come back to clean up the original area where the cars were parked.It won't always be perfect,but it will work.Any remaining spaces where cars are parked can be given a good dose of salt,to help melt any remaining snow.It helps to have your spinner mounted low for this purpose,so you spreading under the cars,and not onto them. :D
  7. RAT

RAT Junior Member

Thank wyldman for your help!

8. sschario

sschario Member

I plowed our local WalMart last year and that place is always busy, even in a snow storm. And the people around here will park in the middle of a pile if it gets them 10 feet closer to the door. And they are oblivious to the big trucks and flashing lights.

And the employees park all over the place, so even during off-peak hours, you have to deal with cars all over the lot. It would be great if you could get them to park in one area, maybe even on the side.

9. J&JProperty

J&JProperty Member

One of the large strip malls (15 acres) we service has an Auto Zone thats open 24 hrs. a bar (open til 2 or so) and a pool hall open all night. Its almost impossible to get a complete push with out going around cars at any hour. The plan we have used for the past several years, granted this applies to day-time operations, is to pre-salt the lot at the start of the storm and apply an extra round of salt to all the access roads and make sure the walks get calcium put down, once the snow accumulates - plow all the access roads back and clear walks, re-apply the salt and calcium as needed, we don't worry about the parking areas until after 9 or 10 pm. So far this has worked well for us, even with the 16" storm last season we were able to maintain good traffic flow. Just know the expectations of the management and you should be fine.
  10. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I used to plow a 24 HR grocery store when I subbed, I'd clean an area for the cars first, then ask the manager to make an announcement asking the customers to move their cars to that area. Most complied.

While I was waiting, I'd clear other areas, I really didn't have much delay.
  11. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

Nothing here is open 24 hours a day:D Town shuts down at 9pm
  12. speedracer241

speedracer241 Senior Member

Same here.

Kinda tuff finding gas at 4 am in an unplanned for snowstorm.

Mark K
  13. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

We have mobil gas stations here that are open 24/7 and usually atleast one grocery store in every town open 24/7 plus tons of little 711 stores
  14. HerkFE

HerkFE Member

Wal-Marts and plowing....

I subbed for several years for companies that have three Wal-Mart contracts. They are all super-centers 24/7 364.5 days a year. Let me tell you, we had 28" of snow, state of emergency, highways and interstates closed, 3 a.m. on a Monday morning and people were still coming to Wally World. You know why? Because they said they'd be open and they were!

We ran several plow truck and one 14' pusher on a wheeled Case loader. During storms we prioritized the main entrances and exits and loading docks. Aisles were second starting from store entrances outward. Outer fields, etc were down the list.

Believe me, you will never get an area roped off, coned off or otherwise...and people will pull in front of your moving truck to park in 2 feet of snow if it will save them 20 feet of walking, although the walk was from a cleared area.

Get to know the mangers because I guarantee they will be calling you! I could go on and, RAT if you'd like, feel free to PM me if you want to know more.

Let me just say that I was glad I was only the sub and not the guy holding the contract!

15. Santo

Santo Banned

Many brightly flashing strobes with high beams on helps tremedously with my 711's.
  16. easthavenplower

easthavenplower Senior Member

tou might want to look into hiring a sub and bid a little on the high side once thers an inch have him start plowing until the storm us over with thats the most sensible way little expensive but it will work and youll save ypor truck
  17. Jay ALC

Jay ALC Senior Member

I'm looking at a very similar lot and would like to contact you via chat or email of some sort. Please let me know if you don't mind. Thanks.

18. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Hey Jay! Good to see you back!:drinkup:
    I was thinking last week it was getting to be time to hear from you.
  19. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

I had a 24 hour grocery store last winter, a real pain to plow.

Store would not remove carts, so my V blade took over, no harm done to carts either.

If you don't have the stores help, it can be a long process.

20. DanG

DanG Senior Member

I used to do some sub work for my brother in law one of which was a bunch of Cumberland Farms convenience stores.

People are clueless when you are trying to plow them it doesn't matter when it is ,day or night.:rolleyes:

They park in your way, pull in front of you, generally just don't care about you and your plowing all they care about is that cup of coffee or the cigarettes that they need to go out in the middle of a storm for.

I'm glad that i don't do them anymore. Can only imagine that the bigger places can be just as,if not more of a PIA due to the carts etc... that you now have to deal with.