1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2290 install on a 03 wrangler

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by addicted, Dec 29, 2005.

1. addicted

addicted Senior Member

For those of you that were following the "opinions please" thread, here is the continuation. I figured i'd start a new thread to help other people when searching in the future.

So far about 2.5hrs and it is 80+ % done. All i need to do is wire up the lights.
    Then i need to figure out how to drop the mount 3 "!

Basher, or others who have installed these, i have a few questions:

Where do you run the EIS headlight harness? It's a little tight where the A/C lines go through between the 1awg for the winch and the 4awg for the plow!

Where do you tie up the power cable that connects to the power pack?

The extensions in the headlight plug connectors seem to be too long. Do i just cut them, or am i doing something wrong?

How can i slow down the drop speed to subsonic?

Is the DP supposed to pulse, or is it possibly air in the lines?

The hydraulics are blazing fast!

The thing looks pretty good!

New mounting system is OK now, will be better once i bring the mount down to where it needs to be.

Thanks all!:drinkup:

Pics are on the way as soon as i figure out why i can only upload a tiny 100mb file?
  2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I run the eis harness first, before the power harness. Never had to deal with the winch wire. Might have to pull them back out until you get the plug through the hole

normally I leave the power cable lay behind the grill with the light harness. pull it out as needed or you could run it under the body along the frame and use a long screw through the small mounting hole and in to the bottom of the bumper.

lube the adapters with a little dielectric and push, they go all the way in. They're just the John Holmes of light adapters.

Down pressure should not pulse, yes air in the lines or to little fluid (which causes air in the lines.)

slow drop speed with a orifice kit available from the dealer, there is a adjustable flow valve available on the aftermarket, but I prefer to use the orifice kit. Actually I prefer the Concorde like drop speed but there lots of ways to get to Paris.

I cann't figure out how to post any pics, cann't get the file size small enough.

Smaller wheels and tires would be my lowering suggestion
  3. addicted

addicted Senior Member

Well, it is all done!
    Basher, thanks for the tips. I ended up running the EIS for the passenger side behind the headlight. I also mounted the fuse in the bracket for the fuse box and just cut the rest of the screws off.

Drop speed slowed a little once all the air was bled out. The DP pulsing also went away. How much does the orifice kit go for?

The height of the sub frame does not seem to be an issue as far as lifting a corner when angled. I had it on my shop floor, which is smooth and level, angled it both ways with the DP on and off and couldn't't see any light. Before i modify it i am going to see how it does on its first time out. If we get any snow! The problem is that the hook up is a little difficult, but it's still a million times better than my western conventional. Actual lower pin center height with plow mounted and in float mode is 11".

Total install time was about 4 hours, and about 45 minutes of that is because of the complications in the wiring because of the winch. Not bad for a first timer!

I think i have software at work to shrink pix, so i will post them as soon as i can!

4. addicted

addicted Senior Member

hopefully these load

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Great job Mike. :redbounce purplebou :bluebounc Now lets hope for snow. I get back to you tomorrow with a price on the orifice kit. I'd wait and see till you use it first. You may find you like the speed.
  6. addicted

addicted Senior Member

Thanks basher. Here's a few more. Man this site is a PITA when it comes to posting pix!

7. addicted

addicted Senior Member

and a few more

8. addicted

addicted Senior Member

Oh yeah, With the plow up i am about 1/4" away from the bumpstops. I drove it home, and it wasn't bad, but is there anything you recommend? I hear that those timbers are not so good on a jeep. They supposedly make the shopping cart ride even worse!
  9. Jeff Lange

Jeff Lange Junior Member
    from nj

Nice job on the install.. What did the set up cost you?
  10. addicted

addicted Senior Member

right around 3800. I can allready tell that it will boost my productivity big time!
  11. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

a 7'6" plow on a jeep?

I thought most people used a 6'5" or maybe 6'8"

How do you like the 2 point mounting system?
    It is supposed to be a whole lot quicker than the 3 point mount most sno-way people are familiar with.

Congrats... Jer.
  12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Jeep use to offer a Air Shock kit for the Wrangler, and I believe AirLift makes a airbag kit for the wrangler. whether the stock kit works with the rubicon I don't know. I think your best choice could be ballast. add some weight (maybe 400 lbs) as far rearward as possible. Not only will that help balance the vehicle but it will give you much better traction. I think timberns are great but your right it does stiffen the ride.
  13. addicted

addicted Senior Member

Thank you.

I know the 7.6 seems big, but i have been runnung a 6.6 western on my cj, and it barely covers the tires. The rubi is almost a foot wider, and has about 100 more HP, so i think it should be OK. Once it snows i will let you all know how it does.
  14. addicted

addicted Senior Member

I was thinking about bagging it. . . the ballast may work as well. I plan to have my snowblower on my hitch rack, and could probably throw some 50# bags on there.
  15. addicted

addicted Senior Member

The 2 point is pretty good. I am getting better at it with some practice. Having the remote in my hand while manipulating it is great. I never used the old 3 point style, but i have seen it and this looks much better.

On the flip side, it hangs down very low, and the plates are pretty thin. One good whack on a curb would probably put them out of commission.
  16. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I have a guy who uses bags of steel shot. it's small easy to handle and lasts for eons. He has a S-10 BLAZER, and just leaves them on the floor on either side in the rear. He says they don't move, rattle, require restraint and clean up with a shopvac if you break a bag.

Then there's durango duffuss, made his own Meywestrcurtway (don't even ask:rolleyes:) his collapsible water carrier idea is pretty good. I don't know where he got 20 gallon bladders but the 2 of them give him 320+ lbs of easy to install and remove ballast.

If you bag it, think about the compressor kit. The dash control is sweet, it's easy to rig a storage tank, and the auto maintain will keep you from pinching a bag.

You know...a thinner smaller tire would turn easier, less stress on the steering stuff and would help get you to that magic ten inch pocket height....hum
  17. addicted

addicted Senior Member

finally got to use it!!!!!!!!!!!!

THE BEST THING I HAVE EVER DONE! Well at least as far as snow removal is concerned.

Only once did i regret the 7"6" blade. On a 8" wide driveway with a fence on one side and the house on the other.

The plow and jeep functioned flawlessly!

The downpressure is fantastic! I was able to do twice as many houses in less time.

With a 2 stage snowblower and some other crap on my hitch rack the ride was level and comfortable.

The hydraulics are almost 2 fast, but a great asset once you get used to them.

The onky problem was the trip sprongs and shock buffers. I guess they need to be broken in, and they came loose about 1/2 way through the run. When i hit the down pressure it would just fold the plow over.

Good Job snowway.