1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

225K square feet, $9300.00 all inclusive

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by John_DeereGreen, Oct 17, 2014.

1. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

Yep, you read that right. Strip mall complex with 200000 square feet, and a small out lot with 4 shops 25000 square feet.

Seasonal contract, all inclusive. 2 inch trigger, salting after every clearing and as needed for lighter amounts. The only thing not included is off site removal, and even last year with almost double average snowfall it never had to be hauled. No caps, unlimited salting and unlimited plowing.

We average 38 inches of snow/season. 16 plowing and 32-34 salt events.

Lowest bid above this one was us, at 16980. My salt cost was above what they priced everything at.

I'll be waiting for the phone to ring by January, especially if salt prices spike further.

2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Some guys here would charge that much for one service.

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Philadelphia hills ain't it? Home of the rich?

4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Central Illernoiz too.

5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

And you pronounced it correctly too. I'm so proud

6. MSsnowplowing

MSsnowplowing Senior Member

Is the guy doing it in a single truck too :laughing:

7. John_DeereGreen

I know the "company" that got it...the first storm we get like last year where it dumped about 4 inches an hour for 3 hours and they'll be shitting themselves. That snowfall rate is unusual for us.

They do have 4 trucks, all of which are at least 2008's with v plows. But no machines.

I just don't understand how anyone could possibly come up with a number that low after doing the math.

That just goes to show, that while the nationals might be underbidding some stuff, they surely aren't alone.

8. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

without looking at the property just looking at the square footage you doing pretty good. It's getting wild around here lately.

9. Fannin76

Fannin76 Senior Member

Um I'd be at at least 32,000 and I feel my rates are still pretty low. How any one could do it for less then 10k is beyond me

10. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

dittos . you gotta love them .wesport

11. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

its called a crapshoot. on both parties . hehehe

12. John_DeereGreen

If I remember right you get a lot more out of salt then we can. This lot was figured with Ebling back blade production rates as well. All the bids were within $500 of each other.

While it is frustrating to not get the account, it's even more frustrating that the property owner will now assume the rest of us are trying to make way too much off of the lot. He left so much money on the table and isn't even smart enough to see it.

13. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

they'll both see it when the contractor dont show after a blizzard

14. Fannin76

Fannin76 Senior Member

Well I ask for more lol. I was asking 25 cents now I bid at 18 for bagged

15. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

I'd charge that much between numerous de-ice apps and plowing charges for a 15" storm lol. And a strip mall at that with numerous stores not just ONE store... haha. $5k deposit for the insurance on top of it. $9000, that won't get the rental for a skid for the 4-5months of the winter. USM has home depots in NJ for similar prices, similar sizes..

if they came to us with 60k for the sites seasonally i'd still have to laugh. I know a contractor from year 2000 that did the same site and that company billed 40-50k every year.

16. John_DeereGreen

It still amazes me to see the difference in pricing from area to area...at my 16870 I'm still making very good money. I can't imagine having the cost of living and overhead to turn away that lot at 60K a season!

17. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

If your salt cost is over $9300 how can you do it for $17k? I would be more then double that.

18. MSsnowplowing

MSsnowplowing Senior Member

You should see what those boys in NJ and NY are paying for insurance alone.

Talk about sticker shock :eek:

If I had to pay that type of money my prices would have to triple just to cover the insurance part of the business.

19. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

And funny thing is that if we all compared tax returns there wouldn't be a big difference!It's not what you make,it's whats left in your pocket!

20. John_DeereGreen

How much snow do you get though? 9300 is cost once it's applied with overhead, equipment, materials, etc. Still leaves a good chunk for plowing. We average 34 inches a season.