1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

22 Series Trips Too Often

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by Chris-R, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

I just got to try out my new 22 series 6'8" plow during the first storm of the season that lasted all weekend long. The plow worked fine except it tripped too often. It tripped while I was pushing about 6 inches of snow so I tightened up the trip springs to where I could run an index card through a coil but it still tripped quite a bit. It wasn't like I was hitting a curb. It was tripping while I was plowing a paved driveway. Is it okay to tighten up the springs more? Should I go get a feeler gauge and put the springs to 0.015 inches? I've always had a big commercial plow until this one so I am unsure as to what I should expect. Thanks for the help.

2. was there packed snow on the driveway? mine would sometimes do that on a driveway where i swear the homeowners drove over the snow 60 times before i plowed.

3. snowworks

snowworks Junior Member

LoL I don't know if you would consider it good or bad but I had the same issues with mine. I really don't like a plow to trip unless it really needs to. I really got fed up with the trying to adjust it so I ended up tightening mine completely down as far as I could. It stopped tripping LoL but I gives when it needs to.

Just my .02.. Like I said I wont tell you its the thing to do but I will tell you its what I did and I haven't had any issues what so ever.

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Tighten them up a little more.

5. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

Thanks for the help. I'll tighten them up a little more and see how it goes next storm.

6. larry newman

larry newman Member

Tripping is temperature dependent, often. I start off working well, then the plow digs in too much - either I've hit the down pressure by mistake, the angle is wrong, or it has warmed up a bit [ happens often with an 8 hour plow run...]