1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

22 (?) Series electrics question

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by ksnh, Dec 21, 2008.

1. ksnh

ksnh Junior Member
    from NH

My neighbor has a Sno-Way plow on his Chevy Colorado. I think it's a 22 series, but my question is probably generic to all smaller S-W plows. He installed his plow for the first time this season, and the plow didn't operate. He put new batteries in the controller, and no go. The controller lit up and seemed to react as he remembered it should. He then tried to clear the existing codes and reacquaint the remote and control module per the dealer’s phone walk-through, with no luck.

He took it to the Sno-Way dealer, who diagnosed a bad controller, which they replaced. The plow then reacted to remote commands in the dealer’s yard, but later the same day ceased working again and a return to the dealer wasn’t possible because they’d closed for the rest of the weekend.

I looked at the plow control setup, and established that the plow hydraulics are all fine but the motor isn’t being triggered. There’s 12 volts to the red/white power rail for the solenoid trigger and to the coils when the remote is operated, and the plow lifts and turns if the solenoid is bypassed (jumped) while the remote is operated. The plow frame ground is also good because the motor operates fine when the solenoid is bypassed.

The second smaller terminal on the solenoid that hosts two brown wires does not produce continuity to frame ground. Should it? or, is the ground switched on/off by the controller? I was reluctant to run a new ground to the solenoid terminal without that knowledge, since the ground wire extends to the controller. Some solenoids are internally grounded to frame, but most that I encounter require external ground as well as trigger.

Second question: what is the current rating of that solenoid? We’re getting 10”-12” of snow in NH today, and I want to use an automotive/truck solenoid to get him running if in fact the solenoid is the problem, but I don’t want to guess at the amperage.

Thanks!

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

A standard snowplow 12 volt motor solenoid will work (western boss fisher, the newer Meyer).

No it's not low side switched. you could most certainly try a ground jumper to see if that's an issue.

3. ksnh

ksnh Junior Member
    from NH

Thanks for the quick reply. I wanted to get the current rating for the solenoid, as I may need to use an automotive equivalent (today is Sunday, and I may not be able to source a snow plow relay). And re: the ground terminal on the solenoid, if the solenoid ground isn't low-side switched, then is the solenoid-to-controller brown wire the ground source for the controller, and if so, how can the controller work well enough to activate all the other electrical functions without any ground from the solenoid ground post?

I just want to have all my ducks lined up before I stumble forward!

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

There should be a black wire from the receiver to the endhead on the motor for a control ground. the Power unit itself should be grounded directly to the truck battery. body/frame grounds just do not make it.