1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

22 Acre ( how to bid)

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by DJRLandscape, Aug 23, 2012.

1. DJRLandscape

DJRLandscape Junior Member
    from Hbg. PA

Ok I have been plowing commercially for about 9yrs and I currently have 8 trucks in my fleet. I have recently been asked to bid a 22 acre lot with 24/7 traffic. I know I will need to add a loader or backhoe to the fleet and probably another spreader. What i am looking for is a little help on how to bid this, pricing?
    If i base it off other lots i have 1-2 acres i come in around 7000 for a 2-3.99 storm plus salt figure around 12 tons of salt to do the lot.
    average snowfall is 28" 19 events
    Any help here
  2. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

I think you are a little off on how much salt you will need ( I figured about 8 tons, if you salt everything ) and I am not sure on pricing in your area, but think 7k per push is a bit high. Just my thoughts tho. Alot of large places around here only want the main drivelanes and intersections salted (again just my thoughts)

Good luck
  3. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

So they asked you to bid it per push with different pricing /inch. I'm just trying to think how it's possible to bid a 22 acre lot that way. Everything is seasonal here so I really have a hard time wrapping my head around this.
  4. DJRLandscape

from Hbg. PA

Thanks guys.
    I was told give them my best price they dont care how its bid. Seasonal, inch, hr. Doesnt matter
  5. csi.northcoast

csi.northcoast Senior Member

they don't care how you bid it????? how are they goingto compare numbers

i could give them $25 per hour for plowing, but it may take me 60 hours to plow it

vs a loader that can take 8 hours?????
  6. DJRLandscape

from Hbg. PA

obviously they want it done as fast as possible. Like i said they dont care how its bid, thats why i am asking for some help
  7. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

I assume this is something like a large trucking terminal? If so, you will need at least 2 machines. Salt wise, 12 ton is too much. More like 8 ton. Being 24 hour, you will have a lot of time in it. Basically the snow can never pile up. Expect to have guys there as soon as snow starts

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

Im a little confused by some of this but my best advice would be for you to get in front of the person or persons that will be making the decision, and ask them how it was bid or billed in the past and make your bid look as similar to that as possible as this is what they are most comfortable with, I would also include another type of bid, the one that you would like them to choose, and sit down with them and explain the differences and really sell yourself to them in person, Usually in situaions like this the people making the decision on the plowing has 100 other things to do and most likely will get overwhelmed when a bunch of bids come in all bidding it different ways and usually retreat to the old comfortable way of things, so again get at least one bid in that looks familiar to them. Also if you are getting 7k for plowing 2 acres you are doing well. Good luck
  9. DJRLandscape

from Hbg. PA

7k for 2acres? Do you mean 22? That's why I'm asking the largest lot we do now is about 1.5-2 acres at a little over $500 so 250 x 22. = 5500 or 333x22=7326. So I figured 7k for 22 acres. So from what I see you guys think that's to high, I respect that. What would be a more reasonable rate. Also we get 180-200 per ton of salt so 200x8 ton= 1600. Which on a 24 hr property could add up quick. Does this look right? To high to low ?
    Thank you.
  10. mpgall26

mpgall26 Senior Member

Sounds odd that a property of that size doesn't have specs, but something that size that requires a good amount of dedicated staff and equipment would ideally be a seasonal. Seasonals with 20% in hand 11/1 allows you to shell out some cash for loaders/skids or whatever without fronting all the money. Those accounts can destroy companies with repeats of last season watching equipment sit, unless you own it outright already. Good luck it will be either a big loss or gain, I hope you do well
  11. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

So you charge close to $300 an acre to plow, but only charge $180 a ton for salt?
  12. DJRLandscape

from Hbg. PA

It's more like 250 an acre. And yes 180-200 for salt. I have min on lots that don't use much. I talked to another guy from VA the other day and he told me he would bid it around 9k for a 4". Are prices that different?
  13. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Pricing in every market is different, so it makes it had to compare pricing. I will tell you this just as a pickup looses efficiency as the lots get larger, pushes get longer, etc. Wheel loaders do the same, for instance we have a lot just under 3 acres we plow with our loader in about an hour. We did two Lowes stores, each probably 7 acres, they both took about 5 hours each. Like I said your rates are going to be different than mine, but I can tell you as the lots get bigger the pricing gets smaller, you will probably surprised at how little it goes for if they'll share the numbers. Everyone wants to say "I plow Lowes" or " I plow XYZ freight terminal". But in reality the guy plowing Mrs Jones & Mr Smiths driveways probably has more left at the end of the year.
  14. Maclawnco

Maclawnco Senior Member
    from OH

youll never get $250 an acre plowing unless you have family signing the other spot on your contract.
  15. DJRLandscape

from Hbg. PA

Already getting it. But what I'm getting is for this 22 acre lot I need to be more like 80-90 an acre. Or bid it hourly.
  16. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

I've seen guys on here say $100 an acre push 2-4 then another $100 to salt an acre
  17. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

I'd say $5000 per visit up to 5" if it wide open, but thats me.
  18. PhilFromErie

PhilFromErie Senior Member

its hard for anyone to say anything on it without a picture, but if its a wide open lot a loader and a hoe can do it I'd think with a truck to help. May be even one loader with a truck if your loader is really on the ball. what it would go for in my market has nothing to do with where your at but....I'd say $2,500 per push and about a G to salt
  19. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

You'd never get anything close to that around me. Except shown the door.
  20. PhilFromErie

PhilFromErie Senior Member

Mine or the original poster?