1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

20in 6.5hp toro is something worn out?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by adam5557, Dec 16, 2005.

1. adam5557

adam5557 Member

Hey guys i have had this snowblower which is a single stage with the rubber paddle, and have used it for about 3 years around the house but have just recently been using it to do 20 residentials drives that i service. It has always ran awesome and has been great in the deep snow, but just recently we had 6 in of real heavy snow and it has been slowly getting worse and eventually i gave up using it cause in the deep snow it would let out a squeek and just couldnt throw the snow how it used to. Is this snowblower a belt drive?If so could it just be the belt going bad, also is there any other parts that i would need to replace if not belt driven.Thank you.ADAM

2. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

it sounds like the belt needs replacing. its on the left side of the machine under a cover. not hard to get too or replace.

3. computeruser

computeruser Junior Member

It is likely the belt, but might be more.

When you're working on the belt, take a look at the sideplate that covers it AND the bottom of the blower itself. When the units are used extensively without paddle/scraper replacement at the ideal frequency, you end up tipping the machine forward more than you should to get proper propulsion. The result of this is that you can wear off some of of the metal on the bottom of the machine's sideplate (and in extreme cases the machine itself) and this allows snow into the belt drive mechanism which can also cause the sort of problem you describe. Once you have metal wear the ONLY way to solve it is to replace the metal - new side plate or some DIY welding. Otherwise you will have a machine that will perform poorly or not at all anytime you have wet snow/slush.

So replace your belt, paddles/scraper, and check out the metal sideplates, and your machine will continue to work well for years.

4. Quail Creek LC

Quail Creek LC Junior Member

Relpace the belt and see if that is your problem. If not change out the paddle next. I had problems with my Ariens single stage the other day with 5" of heavy snow. It just would not do the job. Had to break out the ATV that day. Guess we've been spoiled with that light fluffy snow we had earlier.