1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

-20F Degrees this morning. How was your day?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Remsen1, Dec 20, 2004.

1. Remsen1

Remsen1 Senior Member

It was -20F in my neighborhood this morning. My day was going great until I woke up. I have 6 small driveways that I do snowblowing for. When I tried to start my snow blower it pulled over very hard, on the third pull my pull cord broke. I couldn't locate my phillips screwdriver and even if I could I wouldn't have enjoyed fixing it in the dark at -20F, nor would I probably be able to start it given how hard it was to pull. I rolled the blower off the truck, then tried to start it using the outlet powered electric start. Still wouldn't start, wouldn't even fire. I just ran it the other night, but I think it was just too damn cold for her today. I'm gonna have to keep her inside when it gets that cold. I ended up shovelling the driveways. I'm lucky that there was only 3" of snow and 6" where the plow had been through.

Anyone else have any fun when the temps are sub-zero?
  2. wls

wls Senior Member

cold also, had about 0 degrees
    Good for making ice, we oval race snowmobiles :)
  3. bcf

bcf Senior Member

It was 11 degrees this morning, with the wind felt like -8. Had to use two hands to turn the key. Took some tme to get heat, but it got there eventually. I only had one drive to salt the night before, so luckily I didn't have to plow and shovel today.

KSWART Member

We hit -2 last night with -25 windchill. But thank god not snow.... That is just to cold. It reminded me of when we lived in Cedar Rapids and one of the reasons we left.
  5. clncut

clncut PlowSite.com Addict

It was pretty cold here Sunday. I believe 16 degrees with a windchill of below 0 something. Same thing happened to me with my snow blower. Halfway through my second round of plowing my residentials the snowblower decided to take a $^%# and wouldnt start. I just used it no more than a couple of hrs ago with no probs. I was not happy. :angry: Had to shovel all those walks with about 6 inches of snow! :cry: Luckily it was all fluff. Took the snowblower to the work later that night and in the heated garage after about a hour started right up on the first pull. Go figure.
  6. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Use some synthetic oil in the 4 strokes (they will turn over easier at those temps), or possibly get a 2 stroke as a back up. If you're home when they won't start, sometimes a large hairdryer/heat gun may help to warm them up a bit, then warm air to the carb once the oils a little warmer. A torpedo heater(salamander) is good to have in your garage. When it gets that cold out, you have to be resourceful. Don't shut them off for long between jobs. Try adapting some different automotive engine heaters to work on the snowblowers and keep them plugged in when it starts to drop to those temps. Power the heaters through an inverter while on the truck when your out on the route between jobs if you can't keep then running. Good luck and stay warm.
  7. If it makes you feel better, I had to change my tire (had a nail AND rim leak) in the dark and cold, but it was only 2 or 3 degrees out. It still sucked. :eek:
  8. kl0an

kl0an Senior Member

Synthetic oil is your best bet.. You can also find oil pan heaters that you can RTV right to the engine somewhere and plug them into a 110 outlet.. We used them in Fairbanks and it gets to -65 there.. without a windchill factor.. Best thing you can do is keep it garaged until you need to run it.. Once you get it goin, it should be good unless you're running like 20 miles between jobs.. A topper on your pickup would help in transporting..
  9. Duplantisjj

Duplantisjj Senior Member

Here's another "if it makes you feel better"

Got a call this morning from my building security monitoring service,,,about 1 am....They said, we're getting a signal that says your back door to the restaurant is open....I said call the cops....I rushed out there, still have the plow hooked up...we had storm coming through overnight...Someone broke my deadbolt trying to pry the back door open and the alarm went off...My alarm goes off if the door even wiggles. Cops showed up but the bad guys were gone.. :realmad: The best part is I'm only out a $40 deadbolt (could have been worse), and I got to plow about 4" of stuff when it was all over... ;)

Still...I sure wish they could of caught those $#$%%.... :gunsfiring: There's been a rash of this crap all over town....some of these kids today need a real life lesson!! :angry:
  10. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

There was a string of those here as well but the kids were caught in a nearby town. We also had 22 bank robberys here this year. 2 of them were both at the same time when John Kerry and Bush were in town campainging. The robbers are still on the run.
  11. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Sorry, in relation to the topic.... :rolleyes:
    My 2-stage quit on me last year and would not start. I ended up breaking the rope as well but I got it started with the electric start and just let it run all night from job to job. What a pain. I took it in to get it fixed the next day and what had happened was the gas had froze. It was the mid-grade stuff. The guy at the shop still had the old gas in a jar and the jar was cold as h%!!. Kind of weird.
  12. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

A common problem with blowers is the air cleaner gets plugged with snow and freezes, Check it first before quitting.
  13. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Junior Member

Another "if it makes you feel better."

Spent lotso money and time on my "NEW" ole plow truck this summer and fall. Was excited about putting her to the test and what could possibly happen but ..... lose the keys I know I know, put them in the same place each time, what were you wearing when you had them last. Did you move the couch, bed, dirty socks, etc. YES!

they are G*O*N*E. Best I can figure is that they were in the pocket of the pants that I wore to the dump Sat. and guess what.... that pocket has a hole now. Hmmmm, snow gremlins? Ah well I did get to use a truck that belonged to the guy I am subbing for.

Maybe I will find them over the weekend if we get the rain they are calling for.... OH well, such is life.
  14. Up North

Up North Senior Member

That's a bad day Remsen. Today is bound to go better. Cold here too, we went from 38 nice degrees yesterday to 8 below as I type this. That is supposed to be our high for the day, 24 below for tonight with high of -12 tomorrow and -30 tomorrow night. I better go throw another log on the fire.

15. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

below zero

We were -5 zero degrees yesterday (heat wave today, 20 degrees). Long time ago when I helped snow blow my apartment complex they had a standing rule, If it was below zero degrees, nobody shoveled or snow blowed as a safety precaution. It was in the lease so no one could complain. This is a good thing to add to your contract if it does get that cold.