1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

205 X-fer case ? or trouble

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Rick Loncosky, May 27, 2003.

1. Rick Loncosky

Rick Loncosky Senior Member
    from 17557

I have a 77 Chevy K20. It has a 4 speed manual with what looks like a 205 x-fer case. It has the 3 bolt little cover on the back side and a drain and fill plug. The only difference I see is that my drain plug is somewhat in the center instead of on the right side. I thought this type of case had 4L N 2H 4H selections. I removed side cover and can only see that it can only move into L - N - H. Is this correct for 205's or what is this cast iron gear driven beast?
    Thanks for any pic's, help, or ? Rick

2. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

http://www.chuckschevytruckpages.com/drivetrains.html

There you will find pics. It would not be possible for a transfer case to be a 4wd transfer case if it did not have 2wd as an option. It sounds like you have a 205 that doesn't want to engage all the gears. As far as I know, only farm tractors and off road machinery have a H N L type of transfer case / transaxle.

~Chuck

3. jlsanborn

jlsanborn Member

I also am having trouble figuring out what t-case I have. My understanding for the '77 model year is that all manual transmitions were married to a 205 and all autos were with 203's. All one tons used the 205.

You and I should have the same 205 t-case. I have a '77 K30 with a manual trans.

My t-case looks like the 203 according to the photos on Chucks site.

Any help appreciated.
    John

77 k30 t-case.jpg

4. jlsanborn

jlsanborn Member

After a closer look at my pic vs. the pic on chucks pages I would say that my t-case looks like the 205. The output bearing / seal retainer is different in the two pics. My speedo cable enters the housing from the drivers side.
    John

5. wyldman

wyldman Member

jlsanborn - that is a 205 you have,judging from the pic you posted.I have found 203's can have the speedo cable coming out either side,not just the drivers.

Rick - you should have a 205 in that truck,and maybe your just having a hard time getting it into low range.That would explain only having three gear positions.Try it with the truck pointed downhill,in neutral,and let the truck roll slowly forward while trying to get it into low gear (pushing forward).If it is a 205,the shift pattern would be ....

4Low
    Neutral
    2WD
    4Hi

You could also have a 203,and the linkage may be siezed,binding or not engaging the lock position.This will also give you only three gear positions.If it's a 205 the shift pattern is as follows....

Lo-Loc
    4WD-Lo
    Neutral
    4WD-Hi
    Hi-Loc

6. Rick Loncosky

Rick Loncosky Senior Member
    from 17557

Yes John I believe we both have the 205's. Can you send me a snapshot of the linkage on the X-fer case? I have a question on the bar that connects the two rails together. Mine has a dog leg on the one end and all I can see in the manuals is a flat straight piece. I was wondering if this has/had anything to do with this shifting. I sprayed some nut buster on the one pin to remove it and I think it's starting to work freer. Thanks for your help everyone, Rick.

7. jlsanborn

jlsanborn Member

Rick,
    Send me an email and I would be happy to reply with some pics I took of my linkage. These are ghastly images of a grease ball that resembles a giant charcoal briquette but they may be of some help.
    wyldman - thanks for your expertise!
    john

8. wyldman

wyldman Member

Just a typo correction on my previous post showing the shift pattern.The first one is a NP 205,the second is for a NP 203.I made a typo,and both patterns were listed as a 205.This board only lets you edit for up to 60 mins after your post.Sorry for any confusion.

9. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Chris, for future reference, you could ask any Moderator to edit for you after the 60 minutes passes.

Rich, get as much of the crud off the shift rails as possible. Then about once a month try and remember to shift the t case through all the gears once.

~Chuck

10. wyldman

wyldman Member

Thanks for the tip Chuck.I just thought it would be easier to add in a correction.