1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

203 transfer

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 73 chevy, Jul 2, 2003.

1. 73 chevy

73 chevy Junior Member

hey all got a small question for ya. my truck is a 73 k10 350 with a 3speed plus granny. i have a bad u-joint on front axel, so i thought i would take off front drive shaft to ease the drive tain alittle bit and run my 203 transfer in 4hi. the question is my truck wouldnt even move intill i put it in 4hi. 2hi acted like neutral but with the drive shaft on it ran fine. sorry so long but is there something i dont know or is this a problem. thanks for the help
  2. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Your post is a little confusing, but it seems to make sense...

You say when it is in 2Hi... If it is a NP 203 transfer case, there is no 2 Hi..

With a NP 203 fulltime case, if it is in 4 Hi, and you remove the front driveshaft, the truck will not move under power. You have to put it in 4 Hi Loc. It will not move in 4 Lo, you would have to put it in 4 Lo Loc.

The Loc positions lock the transfer case's internal differential. This is how the truck can move with no front shaft. In the Hi and Lo positions, the internal differential is not locked, then all power goes to the front, which is not connected since you took out the driveshaft.

Sounds confusing, but it makes perfect sense.Welcome to PlowSite. :waving:

3. 73 chevy

73 chevy Junior Member

Thanks Chuck that answers my question. I thought something was wrong. This is a great site it has already helped me. This is the first question that I haven't seen addressed. Thanks a lot!:)
  4. snowjoker

snowjoker Senior Member

I have to do the same thing in my 84 because i have loc-out hubs:realmad: i personally do not like them but dont feel like changing them out. I had a 700r4 tranny and replaced it w/ a t-400 w the np 203 or 205 BTW welcome to Plowsite:waving:
  5. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

Welcome to plowsite:waving: