1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

203 Transfer case ?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by eriic1977, Mar 18, 2003.

1. eriic1977

eriic1977 Junior Member

Is it ok to put lockouts on a fulltime transfer case or do you have to put the partime kit in it ? how many differevt gears does a 203 have and where are the located " what is the shifter position? " and what is the proper way to shift it ? does it have to be in N and does the hubs need to be locked in ? I know this is a lot of questions but the site has been so helpful to me I know someone can help me. Thanks...................................

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

You have a two speed transfer case with high and low,and an internal differential.

You can put locking hubs on the front with a full time case.Without a part-time kit,it will still turn the front driveshaft though.The part time kit bypasses the internal diffential and gives you a 2WD position (Hi and Lo now become 2WD,and the Lo-Loc and Hi-Loc are 4WD).

I don't recommend the part time kit as it tends to burn up due to oiling problems.The chain is used to oil the upper portion of the case.When you stop turning the chain (in 2WD with a part time kit),it burns up the case.The 203 was never designed to work in part-time.I have converted all my trucks BACK to original after we had numerous probelms.

The shift positions would be as follows.

DASH -Front of truck

Lo-Loc
    Lo
    Neutral
    Hi
    Hi-Loc

SEAT - Rear of truck

The hi and low positions are for driving on pavement,and areas where you have decent traction.The internal differential allows the front and rear shafts to turn at different speeds and prevent drivetrain bind,or hop when turning.

The Loc positions lock the front and rear shafts together,for better traction.Only to be in slippery conditions,as drivetrain bind can result.