1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

203 transfer case

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by scottyd, Oct 19, 2002.

1. scottyd

scottyd Junior Member

i am converting my 203 full time with a part time conversion kit has anyone done this any tips? also why not just get a part time transfer case and switch it ? thanks
  2. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

I would think swapping in a 205 case would be cheaper. There are plenty of them in the bone yards and their cheap to boot. To bad your far away, I have one.
  3. scottyd

scottyd Junior Member

i looked into it yesterday a 205 runs about 200 bucks up here plus you need the driveshafts because they are shorter on a 205
    i am going with the 60 dollar milemarker conversion kit but have never opened up a transfer case should i be afraid
  4. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

Don't open the case unless you ase sure about it. Not that it's hard but if never before it may look confusing.
    $200 for a 205, I guess price vary's in location. Are you sure about shaft length needing a change? I am going to ask someone about that to be sure as I thought it was a strait forward swap.
  5. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Why are you converting?

The 203 is a really handy transfer case for plowing. I love it for quick touchups on spotty traction areas. No binding on hard dry surfaces.

As for difficulty, never personally did one (watched though!). Problem is, its probably in need of an overhaul and a chain, and thats where things get hairy real quick.

If your OK with just doing the conversion, then you'll be OK. If you question its condition and may need an overhaul, you may want to consider sending it out to a 4x4 shop and have them overhaul it and install the kit.

The 205 is a bulletproof case. $200 is cheap!

Don't know about shaft length either, though a driveshaft modification isn't that much money, and you'll probably need a new slip joint anyway!
  6. russ130

russ130 Senior Member

scottyd, I have personally done one of these conversions. The hardest part of the whole job is adding the fluid. No lie it is that easy. If you don't have air available, you will need a good breaker bar and a big pipe wrench to get the nut off and back on the yoke. I'm assuming you are also adding locking hubs too. That is also not a big deal. I had my Chevy up and running within an hour after doing both the t-case and the hubs. It was also my first time doing either of those tasks.
  7. firefighter

firefighter Member
    from Ohio

I changed my truck over 20 years ago and its still working with no problems. 1977 chev. The change over was not that bad.:eek:
  8. tuna

tuna Senior Member

Its hard to find one today that hasnt been changed.But I like the old 203s,they give you the best of both worlds.