1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2016 ram 2500 diesel navigation question

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by UniqueTouch, Dec 30, 2016.

1. UniqueTouch

UniqueTouch Senior Member

hey guys buying a 2016 ram 2500 diesel. truck has a 8.4a screen. is it true that can just download it onto the head unit for a fee or do you have to put a whole other unit in it? ive called atleast 6 different certified dealerships and have gotten all different answers to that question. when I tell them that it is the big screen they tell me all you have to do is pay the 600 and have it downloaded. and when ive called atleast 3 others once give them the vin number they say "oh that truck doesn't have the antenna even though it has the 8.4 screen in it, and they say yes whole other unit needs to be installed. Does that sound crazy to anyone else? ive went on uconnect and it says dealer activated for the 8.4a, if anyone has any clarity on this please let me know. thank you

2. UniqueTouch

I just don't trust any of these cork soakers

3. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

I'm not really understanding your question. What is it exactly that you want to download? Mine is a '13, but it's the large screen, so I may be able to answer your question once I understand what it is.

4. UniqueTouch

the one I'm about buy has a 8.4 inch screen. so half the dealers I called said all you have to do is have it downloaded and the other half said I have to have a whole new head unit installed to have the navigation added which is about 1200

5. UniqueTouch

so my question is " Do the large 8.4 screen head units all have navigation app in it ready to go or are they different

6. JustJeff

Mine came with it. I would assume they all came with it, but you know that saying about assuming. Here is my window sticker, maybe that will help you if yours is the same?

Maroni Sticker [].jpg

7. UniqueTouch

thx boss. yea ima have to call dodge corporate

8. JustJeff

Sorry I couldn't have been more help.

9. UniqueTouch

no worries brother, I appreciate it , been difficult to get an answer, but anyway how do you like that 6.7 ? I cant wait. ive always plowed with a 5.4 triton lol.

10. JustJeff

Love the Cummins. Well, I love it now that it's deleted and not having anymore DEF related problems. Before that I was a Hemi guy. Never much of a fan of the 5.4.

11. rpizl

rpizl Junior Member

12. rpizl

rpizl Junior Member

The 8,4a i just need the navigation ready just need to pay and have the dealer download. the 8.4an radio has it installed. The only difference between the two head units is the 8.4an shows yelp and i believe satellite imagery. Just purchased a 16 BH I-6. hope this helps

13. UniqueTouch

you the man thank you, would you pay the extra 500 and upgrade to the ra4?

14. JustJeff

The satellite radar is great. I can see exactly when the snow/rain will end. It's a very good picture.

15. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Why don't you drive to the dealer, fire it up and see for yourself?

If you're buying it I'm pretty sure they would let you.

16. ktfbgb

ktfbgb PlowSite.com Addict

So mine is a 14 and has the 8.4 screen. My window sticker said Nav ready. So all I did was pay, and they downloaded it. I wish I had the satellite radar. The weather part has never worked in my truck.

17. UniqueTouch

ok thanks , just bought a new 2016 ram 2500 diesel.as the 8.4 screen, tried to get them to throw in navi but they wouldn't lol, couldn't even get a full tank of gas cheap bastards. I haven't payed the money for the programming of navi yet. spent so much money these two past days. probably should have financed it so I could get all the extras I need, or want is more like it.

18. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Download Android auto, plug USB and you might be able to display Google maps on the display.

I have GPS on my Super Duty, it's like a extra if I want it......Worth a try

19. UniqueTouch

trying to learn all the stuff I have to do to it, need to learn how to bleed fuel/water separator

20. UniqueTouch

hey guys sorry for being ignorant but I don't know a lot unfortunately and I'm thankful for all your guys helping me out in every area. I Only am averaging 15 mile per gallon is that normal? I thought Id be in the mid 20s for sure.