1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2016 GMC 2500HD rotor thickness?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by hosenfeffer, Jun 18, 2016.

1. hosenfeffer

hosenfeffer Senior Member
    from nh

Need to measure thickness of my rotors on a 2016 GMC 2500HD any idea where to find an actual new front brake rotor dimension. Long story shortened, Have had two visits for a brake issue on new truck. I believe grease on pad has overheated rotor and dealer turned rotor on new truck with 1500 miles on it. TIA

2. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

You can remove the rotor, the specs should be cast into it.

3. SHAWZER

SHAWZER PlowSite.com Addict

Must be more to the story , where did the grease come from ?

4. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

I can look Wednesday. But grease on a pad won't over heat a rotor. They won't be under spec if they've only been turned once. So what are you trying to do?

5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Yea, grease on the pads wouldn't cause any issues.
    First, what's the issues your having?

6. Randall Ave

What was the original problem? It's under warranty.

7. hosenfeffer

from nh

Since a few asked.
    The story, Bought new truck that had pull to left most notably at low speeds and had to pay attention to keep grip on steering wheel when in parking lots or tight spaces because truck would veer off. At highway speeds light pull on first part of braking but would stop after a second or so. A second at 70 is still a few feet down the road at that speed. Also noticed grease marks on side of truck like when I overfill bearing buddies on trailer and it flings a little grease around.
    Took to dealer for a couple issues and at pick up in writing and orally was told "assembly lube on brakes" was the issue. Still had issue but lessened. Dropped off again and picked up after hours. Paperwork quote" contaminants burnt into front friction surface. Machined front rotors to remove burnt on oil/grease. Cleaned front brake pads." unquote. All done under warranty.
    I have not worked in the repair industry for a couple decades but oil/grease on pads for the money we would just replace them. As to rotors a sanding disc on grinder would be our usual for minor issues.
    Machining rotors on a brand new vehicle would indicate to me a cooked rotor due to swelled brake pad from oil/grease. On a new vehicle would expect replacement of pad and rotor under warranty. I just bought a pair of quality rotors for my old truck and they were not cheap! How much material did they take off ? I do not know. Hence the question re rotor thickness.

8. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Under warranty per Ford was to machine the rotors. However I always machined under specs to get the customer new rotors (no brainer to me) assembly lube would burn off after time,,,,and the amount that's typically there isn't much
    Almost seems like the dealer can't diag it.
    IMO sounds like a caliper issue.

9. FourDiamond

FourDiamond Senior Member

I'm with DieselSS, sounds like a caliper is grabbing.

10. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Agreed about caliper.

As pointed out, they can be cut and still be within reason of min thickness

11. Randall Ave

Are the brakes fine now, and your concern is rotor thickness?

12. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

If that's the concern I'm sure they're fine. You can get at least one brake job sometimes two out of them

13. hosenfeffer

from nh

My mechanic suggested about a 30000 mile cut on one rotor not so much on other.one looks like it got Hot.truck had less than 2k on it at time. Back for another visit to dealer now. Problem has lessened and is now intermittent. More so when cold in morning or after many miles of no braking. Just annoyed that new truck has rotors with 30 k wear and we will be using this one a lot.I may be whining but CPR is what I would do. Caliper,pads,rotor.it's been cooked to need that much cut!

14. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Yup. I'm with Diesel. It's something hydraulic.

15. SHAWZER

Not sure how the hill-start assist works , but maybe look into that imo stupid feature .

16. SHAWZER

Sorry , for some reason I thought we were talking about fords .

17. hosenfeffer

from nh

No hill start brake but has some kind of hill brake assist for downhill. Latest word dealer keeping overnight and has swapped parts from left to right to see what happens tomorrow. Me? Driving my 02 with 210 K on it. Seems to be running great. Gets better MPG ,too
    Talked to one ex GM mechanic and was told pressure on dealerships to keep warranty repair costs down was constant for him.
    Dealer claims looking at some electronic issues on brake system. Not real enthused at this point. Really just want a truck back with 2K of wear on brakes.

18. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Can't really swap calipers. Just rotors and pads.

This shouldn't be this big of an issue

19. ratherbfishin

ratherbfishin Senior Member

Personally, I would not want cut rotors on my new truck! I'd push for new ones. New truck...new parts!

20. hosenfeffer

from nh

Update: picked up truck after third visit this morning. Was told new rotors and pads installed. Worked nice leaving parking lot. Headed for highway occasionally tapping brakes here and there due to paranoia. 50 mile run to first stop. Exit ramp, traffic light, a little traffic, no issues. Blinker on to turn left ease over a little since a tight road so traffic can get by while I wait for a break in oncoming traffic. Start slowing down easing off gas hit the brake , pull up to turn ease down on brake pedal M@£€)er pulls RIGHT insted of left!!!!!!!. Just spent 500 mile day with one more hard pull to the right and a couple light pulls to left even. Dropped off at dealer after close.
    The first pull I was one handed on wheel and in the space of half a second wheel literally went 180 degrees plus and truck veered several feet. Now worried if brake does this slowing down at highway speed either bang or since company truck I get sued. I have been in one accident where a driver hit me and got hurt badly I never want to see that again. How first responders deal with it I do not know. My 02 with 200k plus miles is mechanically sound except for crossmember needs welding and being done this week. I will be driving that one.