1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2016 Fisher Pump Problems

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by jacked800, Jan 14, 2016.

1. jacked800

jacked800 Junior Member

I've got a brand new 2016 F350 with a 8' Fisher HD2 straight blade. Trucks got about 800 miles on it, almost 3 weeks old. Plowed few times with it and started acting up on me.
    It'll be working fine then all of a sudden it won't respond to the cab controls. I can hear the pump running but will not lift or angle. It will however drop and float.
    Once it's down, if you try to lift or angle you can hear the pump motor running but it will not respond. If I wait 30 seconds or so it comes back to normal operation.
    I called one Fisher Dealer and I seemed to know more about plows than he did, so now I'm turning to this forum for assistance. Closest dealer is hours away.
    Any thoughts would be much appreciated. THANKS Jack
  2. cwren2472

cwren2472 Member

Because of the age, I would obviously recommend having a dealer look at it. Should be under warranty and obviously if you screw something up diagnosing it, it won't be. BUT, if I haven't discouraged you yet, here are my thoughts:

1) Crushed or pinched harness: either the power and ground cable going out to the plow or the control end going into the cab. If the 2 small data cables are damaged, pinched, whatever, the plow will act screwy. Check the control harness were it comes through the firewall but my personal bet would be the power cord; because it's exposed, it's most likely to be damaged. Check the black strain relief covering for signs of crushing.

Similarly, it could also be the plow side power cable end; sometimes people let the cord get pinched on the headgear when lowering the plow and the power cable will still work but the tiny data wires are ruined.

The next two are both possible but very unlikely.

2) Defective controller

3) Defective plow module
  3. jacked800

jacked800 Junior Member

It ended up at the dealer. I took the plastic covers off and checked for obvious signs but the control module is enough reason by itself for a trip to the dealer.
    After 3 hours of them looking at it, they figured out it was broke.They think it's possibly the pickup tube w/screen fell off. That's why the motor runs but don't move the plow because with the plow up there's not enough fluid left for it to suck. When the plow comes down the fluid level rises and the plow works again. That's why when it works it makes noise because there's air in the lines.
    Anyway, that's what they figure and with any luck it's all fixed and ready for pick up. THANKS for the reply. Jack
  4. TwiceStroked

TwiceStroked Member

Good to see that quality control hasn't improved since 2005, they put a clamp on mine to prevent the tube from falling off my mm2