1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2016 f250 plowing dash lights and radio turns off

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by tchnlgykd, Feb 13, 2016.

1. tchnlgykd

tchnlgykd Junior Member

I just traded my 2011 f150 ecoboost in for a 2016 f250 lariat because of this problem. I would plow and stuff would turn off inside the cab making it very annoying to plow with. I bought a v8 gas snow plow prep single heavy duty alternator Superduty to replace this with a boss v plow. I am having more problems with stuff turning off than I did in my f150. Are there any solutions to fixing this problem I'm told it's a spike with the alternator when I move the plow... If I bought a diesel would it handle this better than a gas truck? Is there anything I can do to fix this issue thanks any help would be appreciated also any experiences ! Thanks

2. tawilson

tawilson Senior Member

Run all the electrical devices you can. Another tip i picked up here is to pick up the plow with the truck idling. It's a spike when you leave up on the controller that does it.

3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Do a search, you're not the only one.

Nice to know Ford still hast fixed the problem.

4. tawilson

tawilson Senior Member

I don't see where they've even acknowledged they have a problem.

5. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

DD has put out a few TSB's about the GM and Ford flash out. It's harmless and happens periodically. GM has some half ass fix that runs a 3rd plug to plow or something like that.

Do search

6. 1olddogtwo

On my 4th 6.7, all with plow package, some with dual alts, they all have done it. It has to do with the BCM.

7. tawilson

tawilson Senior Member

Half ass. Hahaha. I was looking for an accurate description. If Ford doesn't come out with something better than that I'll leave it as is.

8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Ford never has problems..........just ask them. The 6.0s were problem free.

9. tchnlgykd

tchnlgykd Junior Member

I tried searching but I think Im doing something wrong.. Not very computer savvy were there any fixes for this people have tried to help? Or is there another category I can read through ?

10. 1olddogtwo

11. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

12. cbservicesllc

cbservicesllc PlowSite Fanatic

It's so intermittent it's hard to track... If I try to show someone, most of the time I can't replicate the problem... I have one 2015 that does it and one that doesn't...

13. tawilson

tawilson Senior Member

30 below here today and it's much worse. Usually I can avoid it by timing my lifts. Now even moving the wings can cause it. As someone has mentioned, probably a better battery would help.

14. cbservicesllc

I've read that bigger or 2nd battery is not a fix because it's sensing a spike in current shutting it off, not a drop in current...

15. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

Given what is causing the problem - current spikes - maybe a little out of the box thinking would be in order here. I'm no sound system installation pro, but let's just say I've played with a few with my son. When the kids want a really thumping bass, each loud bass note causes the same thing - a big current spike. Those spikes raise hell with the car's charging system. (Not to mention anybody over 40's blood pressure.)

So how do they handle it? They add big capacitors that discharge only when a spike hits and charge back up during Frank Sinatra tunes. I wonder if ...

16. tawilson

tawilson Senior Member

Exactly. I've suggested a surge protector but that sounds better.

17. 2005STX

2005STX Member

My 05 did it and my old mans 11 f250 gas does it. I never really cared though cause the truck keeps doing its job witch to me is the most important part. Don't have any problems with my 08 powerstroke or 15 powerstroke. Trade it in for a diesel.

18. cbservicesllc

Hmmmmmm....

19. forbidden

forbidden Senior Member

Your alternator is too small, the battery cannot store enough power. A cap does not create power, it stores it when it is able to and rapidly discharges. What you need to do is called a BIG 3 first and foremost. Upgrade all power and ground wires from the alternator to the battery, battery to chassis ground. The more efficient you can make the transfer of current, the less the issues you will have. The alternator runs the whole show in the truck, not the battery. At idle or below a set rpm, the alternator is not producing current or a very small amount of current, that is when the battery throws in what it can. A much larger alternator with a lower theshold for current production may be what you need. NOT A REMANUFACTURED HIGHER WINDING ALTERNATOR as all that does it make more heat in the same size casing. Find a purpose built alternator. Add to the factory wiring, do not replace it, the idea is to get more current paths, not less. All grounds need to be upgraded, chassis to engine block, battery to chassis, add a alternator to battery negative and a alternator to battery positive. A second battery will be helpful but only if there is enough current available to charge it, otherwise it too becomes a strain on the tiny factory alternator.

20. forbidden

forbidden Senior Member