1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2016 F250 electronic locking axle

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Brian Young, Feb 6, 2016.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

So Ive used the electronic locking axle option a couple times and seems there is no difference in traction, in fact seems worse. I'd like to be able to plow in 2wd with this locked in but again seems worse than in 2wd. Any ideas
  2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Can't say worse, maybe a little cork screw affect when starting off.
  3. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I love my E-locker in my '15, my only complaint is it disengaging around 20mph.
    How mulch weight are you carrying in the bed?
  4. Brian Young

I have about 600lbs of sand bags right at the tailgate. It can be used in 2wd too right.
  5. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Do you have those awesome Michelins they come with......:rolleyes: If so get rid of them or add another 400#.

Yes you can lock the rear and not be in 4wd, I use 2wd with the locker engaged more than I use it when in 4wd.
    Also turn off the traction control BS.
  6. Brian Young

Mine came with BFGoodrich's. I'll try it w/o traction control on, I never thought of turning it off.
  7. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

I've never used the elocker in mine. Boss VBX half full or more, turn the ******** traction control off any time the roads are slick in any way, and it'll go just fine in 2wd.
  8. RMGLawn

RMGLawn Senior Member

I rarely use the E-locker in either of my trucks. Even with weight I find it try's to push the truck end around front when pushing.

I find it just fine with 1 yard of salt in the box, the Nitto tires and 2wd with traction control and advanced trac turned off.

You can turn advanced trac off by holding the traction control button after you turn traction control off. You will have to press and hold it until it says it goes off, and the traction control light will blink.

Essentially it turns all the safety systems on the truck off. There is a still a torque limiter between gear 1 and 2 you can't turn off, but if you switch it to manual you can bypass that.

Oh if you are ever stuck, turning off advanced trac helps hugely.
  9. Brian Young

Maybe I had a misconception of how they would work. Years ago I was an EMT and sometimes we'd have to run patients to and from via wheelchair and we had Chevy vans with posi type axles and with snow tires on they were unstoppable, thats what I thought this would be like. It's no big deal this trucks steering is effortless even in 4wd so it hasn't been a problem.
  10. snowman4

snowman4 Senior Member

The BFG tires the fords come with are the absolute worst tire I've experienced in snow. Change them up next year and you will be amazed at the difference.
  11. Cond Enterprise

Cond Enterprise Member

The Michelin tires that came on my truck are far worse than any BFG tire. Finally had enough and put a nice set of All-terrain KO2 on the truck and its like a new machine!!:drinkup: