1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2015 gmc sierra 2500hd crew

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by searay220, Oct 30, 2015.

1. searay220

searay220 Member

I picked my new truck a last week and having an XV2 installed tomorrow. My question is the truck came with LT265/60R20 the Goodyear SRA. The tires don't look very aggressive so wondering if anybody has been plowing with these tires and how are they is the snow?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
  2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Can't help you with the tires but if you're planning on keeping the truck for a few years I would buy 4 snow tires mounted on steel rims. Save the nice rims for the summer.

3. George C

George C Senior Member

I agree. Save those nice wheels for summer. You will eventually buy a replacement set of tires down the road. Why not buy another set to rotate in now, and you are good for years to come.
    There are a lot of nice deals on eBay. Lots of new style GMC chrome 18" wheels for about $1,200 shipped. Cheaper steel wheels are also available if you can stomach that look.
    You may need to buy a set of TPMS for them.

4. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

Forget snow, those tires are crap on wet roads.

5. searay220

searay220 Member

I know what your saying about the second set of tires and rims that would be nice. But right now money is tight. I have less than 200 miles on the tires I wonder if I can get a tire store to take the SRA in trade for some better tires.
    I have had many sets of the Bridgestone Revo 2 on my last truck. They were great.

6. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

I tried to do a trade in at a tire store, market wasn't there for it. Sold them private sale for $200 for the set, rubber only, 18" also, had maybe 5k miles on them by then.
    There's some good deals to be found online, I got a set of BFG KO2 on a Black Friday Sale last year. Saved close to $300, even after factoring in shipping, mounting, and balancing.

7. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

How much did the XV2 cost if you don't mind me asking?

I ran Kelly ATR's on my truck and never had too big of an issue unless I stuck the pedal to the floor, but i also carried two blowers, and close to 400lbs of salt in the bed. (plus the snow that was in there)

8. searay220

searay220 Member

$6250 cash installed out the door. That's for the 8.6ft stainless

9. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

Do you like the KO2s? I plan on getting a set this fall.

10. jhall22guitar

You will have to post a picture when its installed. The stainless on the new Chevy/GMC's look sharp!

11. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

I just had these installed. Haven't plowed with them yet, so I can't give a review. Half the people on here love them, and the other half hate them. So, we'll see.

20151028_172322.jpg

20151028_172336.jpg

12. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

No complaints so far.

13. MXZ1983

MXZ1983 Senior Member

We have had great luck with the Bridgestone Duravis M700 tires, they seen to do great in all conditions and plow pretty well.

14. George C

George C Senior Member

I guess I'm in the minority.
    I've run a lot of different tires that came stock, and have never had a traction issue. I run what it comes with, and without issue.
    Proper ballast is the most important thing. Run what you have and see.

Stay far away from mud tires. Those big blocky aggressive looking tires are worthless on ice. That would be my suggestion.

15. Just this weekend I took off my chrome alloy 18 inch Goodyear SRA wheels and tires and put on my 18 inch steel wheel Michelin LTX2s. The ride is now louder and stiffer. Load up the ballast, adjust the plow head lights, we are ready to roll. If you ever buy a second set of wheels for your 2500HD, remember the bolt pattern changed with the 2011s.

16. searay220

searay220 Member

I don't think I could do the steel wheel route. I went to the Goodyear store today and asked about trading in the SRA tires up to the Wrangler AT. He said he wouldn't take them because like someone else said there is no market for them. He has never seen or sold that size. The Wrangler AT's run about $340 each. For that price I could almost buy a set of used 18 inch GMC wheels and a set of Cooper M+S.
    I currently have a call into the dealer hoping they will be able to do something for me. I explained I bought a $50k truck with the plow package with the intent to plow. I explained that the truck that has a plow package shouldn't have an average all season tire on it.
    If they won't help with an upgrade on my tires my next call will be GM. I'll keep you posted.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  17. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Good luck with that (he said as he rolled his eyes). Unfortunately you should have brought this up prior to taking delivery of the truck. You had a lot more negotiating power at that point. You have absolutely zero now.

18. MXZ1983

MXZ1983 Senior Member

100% right. Good luck man.
    I agree the GY Wrangler SRA tires are some of the worst tires ever.
    They don't get traction in rain let alone snow.
    As far as the dealer goes you should have done it before you took the truck home.

19. searay220

searay220 Member

Your absolutely right I should of done it before signing. I think the new car smell made me not think clearly.

20. jhall22guitar

It gets the best of us unfortunately.

Sometimes car dealers are understanding though. My aunt bought a new Mini Cooper (manual) about two years ago, and a month and a half in to her ownership she broke her ankle really bad in a motorcycle accident (motorcycle fell over on her) and she wouldnt have use of the ankle for almost 6 months, so she couldn't drive a stick. She called her dealer and they brought her a brand new Mini Cooper that was automatic as a trade and didnt charge her more than $500 for it. Now thats customer service.