1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2015 GMC electrical issue (fixed)?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by BRETTMAN23, Feb 16, 2015.

1. BRETTMAN23

BRETTMAN23 Member
    from ohio

Just an update. I had made contact with GM Upfitter regarding issues. They have coordinated with my dealer and made a harness off the alternator as that was the culprit. I plowed last night and had no issues for the first time.

2. hillbilly1968

hillbilly1968 Junior Member
    from ohio

I had same issue. My local dealer caller GM tech line and they said for dealer to add additional battery. goes back in Friday for kit to be installed.

3. BRETTMAN23

BRETTMAN23 Member
    from ohio

Battery isnt the issue. Its the high amp alternator on the plow ready trucks. Spikes voltage to 16.4 and throws off radio and HVAC module's.

4. hillbilly1968

from ohio

I guess their theory is the second battery will take the voltage spike and solve the problem. If not at least I will have dual batteries. It is being done at no cost to me. Maybe I'm the guinea pig to see if it works.

5. BRETTMAN23

BRETTMAN23 Member
    from ohio

I contacted GM Upfitter, I asked about second battery they said nope not the issue.

6. hillbilly1968

from ohio

I read you posts. What kind of harness did they make? How do I get my dealer to install it if the second battery doesn't solve problem
    ?

7. BRETTMAN23

BRETTMAN23 Member
    from ohio

Contact GM Upfitter, they are a division of GM. Is it a 2015 with plow prep package?

8. hillbilly1968

from ohio

yes 2015 Chevy 2500hd with plow prep. Is there a phone number for GM Upfitter?

9. BRETTMAN23

BRETTMAN23 Member
    from ohio

1-800-875-4742 Nate was the engineer who called me back.

10. bolake

bolake Senior Member

I have a2015 GMC 2500HD with the same problem been following this post after starting one on Boss plow forum (New truck/plow radio problem). Have contact my GM service , manager twice, last time being a week ago, he said there still working on a fix. The harness for the alternator is this the fix or something there trying for you?

11. BRETTMAN23

BRETTMAN23 Member
    from ohio

It is a fix, my truck has had no issues since. Nate at GM Upfitter is my contact. Call the number and leave a message if needed. He will contact you. There may be something else as well down the road but this is the fix now. He is the main engineering being the issue.

12. bolake

bolake Senior Member

Called just now and left message, will see what happens.

13. bolake

bolake Senior Member

Called that number 2 days ago, got a recording to leave message, did so and no return call. I think you were lucky to get ahold of the right person.

14. hillbilly1968

from ohio

Got a call back. Was told this is a temporary fix.

15. BRETTMAN23

BRETTMAN23 Member
    from ohio

Yes but it works, and it is done with factory plugs. It looks OEM.

16. bolake

bolake Senior Member

Got a call back from Nate this morning. He explained the harness setup( temporary) and said they would either do that or go back to a 150 amp alternator. Went on to say there will be a permanent fix coming that they are working on. Also they were notifying dealers about the options above. Very good guy to talk to.

17. BRETTMAN23

BRETTMAN23 Member
    from ohio

Ya very cool guy. Makes you glad you bought a GM product.

18. bolake

bolake Senior Member

I decided with a fix coming to wait with harness. He gave me a reference number if I should decide to do the harness or 150 amp alternator .Since I have kept the accessories on it doesn't do the shut downs as regular.

19. BRETTMAN23

BRETTMAN23 Member
    from ohio

I did harness it looks factory and has fixed the issues. With the plow prep you paid for the 250 amp alternator.

20. bolake

bolake Senior Member

Yes that's why I'm keeping the alternator and waiting for the fix, I can get by for now and do the harness next fall if fix isn't here.