1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2015 gmc/chevy electrical issues

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by BRETTMAN23, Jan 27, 2015.

1. BRETTMAN23

BRETTMAN23 Member
    from ohio

Has anyone contemplated or made an attempt to contact the manufacture regarding issues these new trucks are having with the radio, dash, and HVAC when operating the plow? I have a 2015 GMC 2500HD plow prep option truck having these issues. The truck has been back to the dealer, I have called the plow manufacture, and the plow distributor. There is no fix now. What rights does the consumer have? Are we supposed to sit back and wait? What if there is no fix? I have read some threads about what people have done that may or may not have worked. I don't want to start switching things around or start pressing buttons or turning everything on to try and trick the system. If anyone has a contact please share. If enough people call make we can get something going here.
    Thanks!

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Still say dump that crappy battery and put the biggest one in there that fits,

3. BRETTMAN23

BRETTMAN23 Member
    from ohio

Ya I hear all the suggestions but I feel its camouflaging the issue.

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Its the why its going to from now on with computers running the truck. Everytime that volt meter drops below a certain point the computer with turn off stuff to keep the volts up. So the bigger the battery the more capacity to keep things up and running.

5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Thumbs Up
    Get 2 of them while your at it and a duel alt kit.
    Use the 2nd alt just for the plow as a stand alone system

6. BRETTMAN23

BRETTMAN23 Member
    from ohio

Like I said all these solutions are great but I don't believe I want to spend the money on all of that. Frankly I shouldn't have to. I understand there are electrical issues but I don't think a plow should require two alternators and two batteries to operate it.

7. Cosmic Charlie

Cosmic Charlie Senior Member

Wow - 220 Amp Alt and still an electrical draw issue - doesn't sound right - plow may have something drawing too much ... frayed wire grounding somewhere ? (a bad something) Also try another / some else's plow head unit to compare, Your the only one I've heard of this prob so My guess is it's YOUR set up ... not GM but the plow installer or harness (?) I'd have the plow installer re-install another NEW harness - even if you have to pay a few bucks ... that way you will be sure if that is the problem, and if it was the original harness prob you'll get a new a one and it installed for FREE - certainly not your fault

or

Maybe that's why the offer the dual alt option 150 amp & 220 Amp = $230
    and a high idle option = $200 (nope - says just works on idle @1200 rpm's)

I have the dual battery option and it ONLY uses 1 battery, the 2nd is a back up for a trailer power. My alt keeps it charged but never uses it. (as many have insisted thats how it works) if your primary battery goes dead you can jump start from the other one, kinda stupid set up, why not have them work together in cases that have a high draw situation ? like years ago dual battery set ups were ? ( I realize it's to save the prob of having 1 bad battery and both die from overcharging)

8. BRETTMAN23

BRETTMAN23 Member
    from ohio

Charlie check out the Chevy Truck forum. There are issues with these 2015 trucks. As a matter of fact Meyer the factory rep told me today Ford is also having issues with all plow manufacturers. I don't think its every truck though. My radio stations change, dash lights and gauges have gone out, and radio screen changes like Im changing HVAC functions. Only while operating the plow and not all the time.

9. Cosmic Charlie

Cosmic Charlie Senior Member

GM Regional Rep Time (?)

The nicer you are to them the more likely they will do you right ...

Best of luck to you

10. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

It is a result of the high output alternators on these new trucks generating an over abundance of current and the system trying to find a way for it to go.

11. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Maybe some of you should go and take a look at the AMP draw of your plow.
    Some will have a rating/draw of well over 200amps.

A plow is a add on, that you spent money on also.

try a central hyd system.

computers dont like voltage drops or spikes and the system may not like the noise generated by the plow

12. BRETTMAN23

BRETTMAN23 Member
    from ohio

so who is responsible me? Meyer made the plow GM made the truck they know what needs to happen for this to operate correctly

13. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

The plow mfg needs to make the plow compatible with the truck, or the plow is of no use.
    it's like buying aftermarket parts.

if you till want to use it you are responsible for any necessary modifications to your truck.

but its nice if the truck mfg can work with you but they are not at fault.
    jmo

14. BRETTMAN23

BRETTMAN23 Member
    from ohio

SnoFarmer, I disagree kinda! If what people are saying is true that the alternators or computers on the trucks are not capable of handling the plow is it the plows fault? After all they build these trucks so we can use them for this purpose. The unfortunate part is the two people meaning plow manufacture and vehicle manufacture don't work together. Its not like I went and bought some crazy lighting system or audio system off the internet and didn't do any research on the product. Than yes it would be the products fault not the truck. Do you get what I mean?

15. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Maybe a different plow wouldn't cause issues.
    It's the aftermarkets responsibility to ensure compatibility .
    Not everything will be compatible.

The plow is not a Chevy part, chev it not responsible for how it is made or how
    It effects your truck.

and blame the FCC.

" has to except outside disturbances "or something like that...

I have a dirty out law cb that will interfere with your truck if I key up next to you.

How can the mfg predict what you will do with the truck or what parts you will bolt to it?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  16. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

I'll give you $10,000 for the whole thing tuck and plow. That way you can pass the lemon down to me. :)

17. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

What's this like the 5th thread on these?

There was a thread a while back, guy cut off the computer charge wire and tied the alt into "itself" and it worked.

Try looking that up. In was a newer b/s Chevy

18. JoeG3

JoeG3 Senior Member

Same thing happened to my '15 2500. I have the plow prep and had the CHEVY DEALER install my Fisher XV2 as a dealer option before I took delivery of the truck in the fall. Hopefully someone can come up with a fix.

19. bolake

bolake Senior Member

Look on the Boss plow site I started a post on it New Truck/Plow radio shuts off. There's a engineering company working on problem. Both Ford and GM are having problem on 2015 trucks. Helps to keep accessories on,radio blower fan etc. Last time I plowed it didn't shut down anything at all. I hear you on the 2 batterys, shouldn't have to with plow package, besides if the computer is shutting thing down because of draw, extra battery may not help.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  20. JoeG3

JoeG3 Senior Member

Its funny it seemed I had the opposite happen. Radio, heat, lights all on = loss of power. Radio, heat off = no issues.