1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2015 F250 Superduty Rear Bags

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Dogplow Dodge, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Okay,

My buddy asked me to do him a favor, and investigate installing air bags in the rear of his ride and what issues I'd face in doing so. He lives in IL, and his truck is temporarily in my possession for a few weeks. I told him I would look into this, and let him know.

So, he pulls a big trailer, and needs rear air bags to level it out. Truck is a 2015 F250 superduty crew with the 6.7 PS Diesel. While looking under it today, I noticed how close the DEF tank is to the rear axle on the driver side. I was concerned that if the kit had a bunch of brackets, how would installation be ? I've read the reviews on it, but I'd like some of your experiences as I would be doing this by myself in my driveway, and any insight would help. I've done these kits in other trucks that didn't have space issues, so, what am I in for regarding the tank ?

Do I have to drop the DEF tank to get bolts in and nutted ? Is it even a concern at all ? Again, since this truck is unfamiliar to me, other than the 4 hours I've driven it, I would / could use an experienced voice here.

This is the kit he wants installed:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B32DCIQ...TF8&colid=2EFO82U3399FM&coliid=I19QS5RMI967JQ

and here is the truck

Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
  2. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Don't have any answers for you, sorry. I've got my air bags and compressor kit sitting in my living room right now. Just had it delivered. I removed my DPF, but DEF tank is still there. Don't know if it's in the same place on a Ford or not. Kit's going in on Monday morning. We shall see. I've got the same air bags by the way.

3. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

I put those bags in my toyota, years ago. Took about 4 hours crawling around under the truck. They're not difficult to do at all, but the tank location, preliminary look, seems to be in the way.

4. JustJeff

Guess I'm lucky. If the tank is on the way on my truck I can just remove it since it's all deleted anyway. Good luck to you?

5. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

I'm reading the installation manual as we speak (type). It mentions the tank, but only the wiring, and not to pinch it. Nothing in there about dropping it yet. We'll see once I finish reading it.

Hopefully someone chimes in, in the mean time.

6. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Piece of cake, I'll see if I have pics somewhere

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
  7. JustJeff

There are also quite a few youtube videos of it if you feel like watching them.

8. 1olddogtwo

The bags will rub on the parking cable on driver side. I Just zip tie them over out of way, no harm is done and still work as normal.

Is it a 250 or 350?

If 350, use the holes that are farther apart on the seat of bag plate. If he has goose neck plate, its a different kit number.

I've done it with wheels on, 15mm for bump stop, 9/16's for hardware and I want to say 1-1/8 open wrench needed for the nut on top of air bags.

2 hours to install. Don't worry about DEF tank

Are you doing air tank or lines?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
  9. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

250...like in the thread title:laughing:

No goose neck

10. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Wow that's along time for no finished pictures
    Must be a union mechanic

11. 1olddogtwo

Oh, you only said 250 twice, I need to be told 3 times, don't let it happen again. :)

12. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

I'll try to remember that:waving:

Started the project yesterday. Took about 45 minutes to assemble the bags, as I was actually reading the instructions while doing so. Next time it would be much easier, as I now know how they get put together.

Today, I finish the install.... hopefully.

BTW.... the only thing so far, that I'm not extremely keen about is the hardware. I've seen hardware like this before, and it was at Blowes Home Improvement. There are not the traditional markings on the heads of the bolts, but they're lettered. To me, this means GR 2 or Less quality bolts. I Can't confirm this, but you would think (hope) that the manufacturer of the bags / kit would use good quality parts for assembly. I guess time till tell.

13. 1olddogtwo

My thinking was the Firestone kit

14. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

I'd like to see that kit, as I would hope they would use better quality fasteners for such an important part being installed.

15. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

How big is the compressor/air tank?
    Where ya gonna mount it?

16. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

Nope.... Individual schrader valves. No onboard compressor needed.

Today was interesting. You don't realize how old you are, or how much pain you're in until you try tackling one of these. I'm half in the grave, or so it seems at times.:D

The whole project took 4.5 hours or so to install. Yesterday, I assembled the bags, which took 45 minutes. If I had to do it again, I could easily drop the whole process down to 2.5 to 3 hours, as the time consuming part is reading the directions, and figuring stuff out, such as the one bolt on the passenger side upper bracket was too short. Luckily I had one of the exact same size, just longer as needed.

It's a real cluster (you know what) on the drivers side. Passenger side wasn't a picnic either, as the exhaust is in the way. Still easier on the passenger side, though.

Fun stuff. Truck rides MUCH better. And now with the trailer on, it's as if it's not even there.

17. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

Final pics

Trailer ? What trailer ?

18. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

Ah come on, your still a pup!. I had to put a dive shaft in a tri axle KW today, it slipped, darn near killed me.
    Wife would a cried till the life insurance check came. :nod:

If ya wanted to get crazy, you could put a small compressor in there, valve and gauge in cab and you could dial in the air pressure in the bags.

19. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

Well, I think you wouldn't really care much about anything anymore, now would you ?;)

20. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

It's best to have the bags plumed separately so air can't go from one bag to the other....

the airlift looks cheeper than the Firestone kit,
    Jmo