1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2015 F250 Superduty 6.7 Diesel fuel related questions

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Dogplow Dodge, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Ok, so I'm caretaking this superduty for my friend.

How many gallons of fuel do you put in the tank when it says it's empty on the computer screen ? Yesterday, I filled this truck up, and it took 23.5 gallons, and it said it was a couple miles till empty. I can assume that there is a reserve amount left in the tank, as manufacturers don't want you to run dry a diesel. IF not, what gives ?

A 24 gallon tank ? I guess I could pull the owners manual, but I figured I ask what you guys have. Buff says his is "30-ish" did this 2015 come with a smaller tank ?

This thing gets terrible mileage. Yes, it's pulling a trailer, and only 7,000 miles on the clock, but wow.....

Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
  2. DieselSlug

DieselSlug PlowSite.com Addict

My 09 manual says its 30 gallons, and you look all over the internet and see 30.

I've honestly struggled to put 23 gallons in mine. Maybe they aren't filling all the way?

I have never had a tank this small and it sucks! Id love to get a titan, but they don't make them for the gas trucks, only diesels.

My 5.4L gets 11 mpg on a big lift and 37's. Its gutless.

3. doh

doh Senior Member

I would NEVER run a diesel that close to empty. Unless you have the extra cash for 8 injectors.

4. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

My 92 dodge brick has a 30 gallon tank. It claims it's empty with 6 gallons still in there. I can assume that these trucks are the same for the reasons you just mentioned.

If I ever purchase a new truck, I'm ordering it with dual tanks (if available), otherwise, I'm sure there is an aftermarket supplier of larger tanks.

Crazy for such a large vehicle to have a limited range (small tank), IMO.

5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I dont know if it is crazy small, I can go across N.Dakota and only have to stop once for fuel. 32gal tank.....

on that new Ram your eyeing I believe they have a option for to up it to 50gal but it puts the spare tire in the box.

I have to stop to pee before I can run the tank dry...

if fuel and range is a issue get a slip tank in the box....

6. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

That's about right, its a 26 gallon tank thanks to the DEF tank being needed.

7. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

The short bed has a 26 gallon tank and the long bed a 36 gallon tank.

8. 1olddogtwo

Yea, and for the life of me I can't figure out why Ford does that

My CCSB has a longer wheel base then a SCLB.

Titan tank offers a 50 gallon replacement for the short beds.

9. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

because the 36 gallon tank will not fit under a short bed truck.

9-10 MPG is bad, that is what our F550 crew cab 4X4's are getting loaded at 23,000+ lbs. the F350 with 65k miles and delete kit is getting close to 18 mpg and that usually runs around 12,000 lbs.

10. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

Will it improve once the motor is broken in ? With only 7k on the engine, it's not even scratched the surface, I would imagine.

His tires were a little low, so I filled them. We'll see if the trip I have to make with it, the mileage improves.

BTW, Check your PM.

11. 1olddogtwo

Yes it does, I put one one my 2012.

Unloaded, that is low, way low.

12. lfaulstick

lfaulstick Member
    from PA

wish my f550 got 9-10mpg i am getting 7.5-8.2 according to computer

13. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

My F-550 Chassis cab gets 9.4 mpg all day long hauling my mowers around or running my dumpsters. But it is a hooklift, so some of that is do to running the engine at 2k rpm while sitting still to cycle the hoist on and off 10 times a day.

5.88 gears also don't help.

14. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I dropped a tank on a 1998.5 Cummins Dodge once (in 2009) to install a FASS system. The bottom of the tank was clean. The truck was stock and it was clear I was the first one to drop the tank.

IMO, this don't run the tank too low thing is more myth than truth.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
  15. abbe

abbe Senior Member
    from RI

I don't think he is inferring that the damage will come from junk on the bottom of the tank, but rather from running the injectors without fuel in them and cause damage from lack of lubrication and then the whole priming process which must be a nightmare on these trucks.

16. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I guess that could be as well. I had my 2004 Cummins 2500 for 9 years and every now and then that trash in a low tank thing would be asked. It got old. I never ran it out of fuel but it got close a few times.

17. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

Turning the key on and off 3 or 4 times primes them now. Long beds have the same small tank as short beds , its less than $50 to fill from empty now.

18. 1olddogtwo

Not same size.

Total cap for mine is 226gals

Screenshot_2015-11-20-04-34-15.jpg

19. tjctransport

with ours it went up around 2 mpg after around 10,000 miles

20. tjctransport

with an in tank fuel pump, the fuel keeps the pump cool. if you constantly run the tank empty, the pump is in the air and will overheat leading to premature pump failure.