1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2015 F-150 outside air temp sensor

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by drdaveradman, Jan 15, 2016.

1. drdaveradman

drdaveradman Junior Member

I have a new 2015 F-150 that I put a blade on (SnowEx) to plow my own driveway. When I bought the truck, it was model year end and I couldn't find one I wanted with the snowplow prep kit. Since it seems mostly the prep kit does electrical power shedding, I figured I could get by without it and remember to turn off things manually.
    The plow works just fine. The one problem is if I should drive any distance with the plow on, the outside air temp sensor will read wildly elevated readings (got up to 150 degrees last trip).
    I'm sure the problem is simply the position of the OAT sensor. For older F-150s ford makes a wiring kit to move this sensor. Dealer can't seem to tell me however what should be done for a 2015. Probably in part because recent model year F-150s couldn't take a plow, so they may not have seen many. Anyone have a F-150 with the prep kit that could look to see where their sensor is? Mine appears to be in the center in front of the radiator down somewhat low. I would expect raising it might help. Suggestions?

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

There all the same way.....
    with the plow on it creates a low pressure bubble this draws hot air forward.

Get a hand held IR temp gun

3. drdaveradman

drdaveradman Junior Member

In my case, after the high temps, my check engine lamp came on. Engine temp gauge always read normal. One of the side effects is that this kills remote start. Interestingly, after a few days of normal driving with the plow off, the check engine light went out.

4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

what?

how is the outside thermometer having a effect on the ecm?

if your engine temp was normal why the issue.
    something is not right.

5. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Simple solution is take the plow off when you're not using it.