1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2015 dodge diesel to buy or not to buy.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by nyhog, Jan 1, 2016.

1. nyhog

nyhog Junior Member

Dodge guys
    I currently use 3 chevy 2500 diesels 2 straight blade. 1fisher v and 1 f350 gas with straight blade. I am in market for new truck and came across ram 3500 crew cab with 6.4 box diesel non dually. It's a 2015 with 20,000 miles asking price is $41,000. I am going to put on boss dxt 8.2. Questions I have are anyone know of existing issues on this model truck. I have mostly had Chevys in the past with varying degrees of success And would never have another ford. Never had a dodge never had a boss plow, so I figure maybe try something new. What are you paying For this plow including install? Thanks in advance

2. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

I've got a '13 diesel. Love the truck but had TONS of problems with the DEF system. The check engine light stayed on basically for the first two years I owned it. Two different dealerships and about 15 visits total and they could never fix it. They called Chrysler and Chrysler had no answer. I was going to attempt to pursue the lemon law until a member on here suggested that I delete the emissions and DEF system. I did that and had it tuned and love it now. Not a single check engine light since deleting. Better mileage, 550 HP, and over 1,000 ft. lbs. But had I not had that done I would have traded the truck in I was so frustrated with the problems. Not everybody has had the same problems, but I have run into a couple with the same exact problem. I would never want to go through it again. Only complaint I've had in two and a half years for the truck though. Cummins makes a good product.

3. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Why no Ford? Mine have been excellent.

4. nyhog

nyhog Junior Member

My ford sounded like someone dropped a bag of marbles inside door panels and dashboard from day 1. Motor has always run strong. Replaced transmission at 75,000. Replaced exhaust manifolds twice. The driveshaft literally snapped in half. Has had perpetual little repairs to be made. Truck began to rot away too quickly.

5. nyhog

nyhog Junior Member

Thanks, good info

6. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

So someone put a 6.4 PSD in a 2015 Ram?

8ft is kinda of small for that wheelbase.

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

The box is 6'4".

Besides, there isn't a 6.4 PSD. There is a 6.4 Hemi.

OP, just like anything, there are good and bad. My '14 Ram has been virtually flawless, only been in to the dealer twice for repairs.

So far, I absolutely love it.

8. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I'm really thinking I need glasses.....wow, seen 6.4 and diesel and thought of the 6.4 PSD.

My bad, carry on!

9. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I did also. Lol. Dodge owners are a special breed, that's why Mark feels at home now owning one.

10. Buswell Forest

from NH

What year?

11. Mark Oomkes

I tend to agree. :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Happy New Year to you too, Dave. :realmad::laughing:

Jealousy is so ugly, you and Madsen are 2 of a kind. :laughing:

12. icudoucme

icudoucme Senior Member

I switched from a 2008 chevy 2500 diesel, to a 2014 Ram 3500 diesel. Night and day differences.

The Cummins has pulling power. It's not as "Punchy" as the Powerstroke or Duramax(this can be changed by a programmer) My truck is stock and will stay that way till the warranty expires.

For my job I drive a F350 diesel. The seats in the ford are much softer then the Ram.

Here are the issues I have had with the RAM so far Purchased late 2014 and now has 26,000 miles:
    2 Led lighst went out on the driver side puddle light
    1 Led Marker light went out on the towing mirror
    Moisture in the headlight driver side headlight

That's it. I have recieved 3 recall notices:
    1: Update software for security Reasons
    2: Wiring harness in steering wheel can be damaged resulting in a safety issue
    3: Some cross brace needs to be re-welded.. (I haven't found anything broken yet) Side note as of 11/30/15 Chrysler has not yet made a fix available

The truck has pulled a loaded 14,000lb gooseneck trailer for 10,000 miles and has plow on it from Nov-April.

I love it. I have plowed with the 2012 Chevy, 2015 F350, and 2014 ram. I like the Ram. It handles the plow weight and I don't need to lock hubs. The exhaust brake combined with tow haul mode is awesome. I rarely need to use the brakes. It's a capable comfortable beast of a work horse.

PS get the boss plow with wings.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  13. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

I can think to two great reasons to never own another ford...

#1 is 6.0
    #2 is 6.4

Give these 6.7's a bit more road time and they might just be #3.... Thumbs Up

14. all ferris

all ferris Senior Member

Any truck that needs the cab removed to work on the thing is not a truck for me. I have an F450 and the cab has been off 3 times for repairs.

I just bought a 2013 RAM CTD 2500 and I like everything about it except the transmission. Supposedly the 68rfe transmission is fine in the Ram trucks, however, it is nowhere near as confidence inspiring as the Allison (I had a 2002 duramax). It's acceptable though.

15. Buswell Forest

from NH

Yes, because an engine that has been in service since August of 2010 is still untested. That's only 5.5 years. Give it another 4 or 5 years...then maybe we will know if they are any good.

16. Buswell Forest

from NH

The cab comes off like that for a reason... Ford designed it that way because it is easier and faster to do major engine work on it. Any competent shop can have the cab off in well under an hour.

17. Mark Oomkes

Well then, obviously the Cummins is a fantastic engine, because it's been in Doodges since '89. The 6.7 is the same platform as the 5.9.

18. nyhog

nyhog Junior Member

Thanks for the info, not looking like it's gonna work out with dealer. But who knows

19. Philbilly2

Uh Oh... touched a nerve...[​IMG]

20. Philbilly2

The designed it that way because they new they were sending JUNK out on the road, so they might as well make it easy to work on.... :laughing: