1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2015 chevy 1500 double cab

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by ledcontracting, Oct 16, 2015.

1. ledcontracting

ledcontracting Junior Member

I am looking at upgrading to new truck and going to put an plow on it instead of plowing for others like i have in the past. i was wondering whats the best plow to put on it. i really would like to put an v plow on it but really think its going to be to much weight. whats everyone running on there 1500s? mostly gonna be doing driveways and small lots.
  2. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Maybe not the answer u want, but I'd probably spend a little more and go 2500. I looked at that option earlyer this week and my plow guy told me it wouldn't work. Just way to hard on a 1500
  3. ledcontracting

Only reason I don't want an 2500 is due to at the point of time this is just my winter and off season gig. I would rather not have the gas mileage of an 2500 since I won't be needing an truck that big all year around. I tend to travel a lot and would be my DD
  4. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Because the MPG difference between a 1/2 and a 3/4 ton is so huge...
  5. ledcontracting

I'm getting 19 with my current 1500. I sure know all the 2500's I have ever driven gotten 9-11. Pretty big difference there.
  6. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Does the double cab you want have the plow prep? I ask simply for warranty issues that may arise. I have to laugh just a little when snow plow guys worry so much about MPG. Did you check what the plow manufacturer websites recommend for that truck?
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
  7. ledcontracting

No it does not. Like I stated before this is just an winter gig for me to make some extra money when I'm laid off. And yes I have seen some on websites boss fisher etc. but what trying to see what everyone else is running on there 1500s and how it doses.
  8. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

You wouldn't have a problem running a 8' straight on it. Just don't waste your time with a 7.5
  9. coke813

coke813 Member

I also have a 2015 crew cab 1500. I went with the Western HTS because its nice and light. First season with it, so I don't know how it works compared to my old one. I will only use it for my driveway and remove the plow if I'm travelling. I understand about your gas mileage issue. So far on my new truck I have been averaging 20-21 mpg this year. biggest thing I notice that's different from my old truck (98 K1500 regular cab) is that the new one has a wider turning radius, so that might make it a little more difficult to maneuver. just pay attention to your front axle weight rating. and know the limitations of a half-ton truck.
  10. ebrennan

ebrennan Junior Member

I have an 07 chevy 1500 ext cab with a blizzard plow on the front. I also do snow plowing on top of my full time job. I have 20 driveways and trying to get 30. This is my second year plowing for myself. If your going to do more driveways then what i am doing you should get a 2500. my next truck will be. If your going to put a plow on a a new chevy 1500, go with the western hts. nice plow, good name. I love my blizzard, but now that there not making them anymore i am wishing i had a western.
  11. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

I'd run nothing larger than an HTS. You can overload the front of the truck just by hooking even that up. Add a passenger or two and you will tax it further.
  12. George C

George C Senior Member

There isn't a lot to the front suspension strength in a 1500. Forget Timbrens on the front because it will eventually damage your sway bar mounts.
    You can plow with it, but you have to be gentle.
    I just sold a 1500, and I ran a Fisher 7 1/2 straight blade as a personal plow. I would never plow commercially with one. Everything is light duty....
    Personally, I wouldn't even entertain the thought of a heavy V plow on a 1500....
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2015
  13. bolake

bolake Senior Member

I had a 2011 Silverado excab I was going to put a plow on. Went to the GMC 2500 when I found out it would void my warranty on the 1500.
  14. pancepance

pancepance Junior Member
    from ct

Get a beater 3/4ton truck with a v plow.
    I've researched this issue to death for my '14 sierra 1500 dbl cab. Is it possible? Yes. Should you do it? Nope. I looked at every brand available. If you are set on a new 1500 stick with a straight blade plow that is light. Even then, I wouldn't suggest commercial use with it. Just not built to handle the weight up front. You can add all the "helper" systems and do dads you want but in the end the front end parts aren't up for the task. I'm on my second diff. and only did my own house and my shop lot last winter. Blew it out about halfway through the season. I have a boss straight 7'6". Truck has additional support in the front and with all that the plow I have is the heaviest I'd go if I did it again which I wouldn't. If you want to do it for revenue and not have it cost you in down time and/or repairs get a beater and a good plow.
  15. dstifel

dstifel Senior Member
    from Iowa

I ran a western hts on my dodge 1500 last year. Didn't have a single problem including one pretty heavy storm. Take your time plow with the storm don't run your truck across a lot at 30 mph and you will be fine. I'd try to stick with drives but small parking lots wouldn't be the end of the world.
  16. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

Snowdogg MD 75 or 80. If you go with the 75 add wings to it as one other member did here. Either are still light, but will give you enough width to get the job done.