1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2015 Boss DXT 8'2"

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by delong17, Jan 1, 2016.

1. delong17

delong17 Senior Member
    from 48009

Hey guys, I bought a brand new stainless boss DXT and I used it for the first time this past storm. I feel like it's not operating at 100%. The hydraulics are slow and the plow won't lift up into a pile of snow unless I time it perfect. Normally on my other straight blade plows, the plow will lift up and if it's too heavy the truck will be pushed slightly down.

The other problem I see is when I'm in scoop mode with both wings forward the wings start to slowly move back with a load on them. I know for a fact this isn't supposed to happen. I have to keep pressing the top two buttons to make sure it's still staying in full scoop mode.

Before I take this to the dealer , is there anything I should check that I'm missing.... Valve pressure release? How to test for a bad smart lock cylinder, etc.

Let me know any tips,

Jason

2. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

well any v has a point the wing will begin to fall back. This protects the plow from taking too much if you are carrying too much with it. I thought the same thing when i used my first v plow which was a dxt! as for it operating slow i can't help too much. I know my dxt isn't exactly the fastest plow but i am able to lift into piles pretty well.

Someone will chime in on that. Best of luck! love my dxt just picked up another yesterday!

3. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Perhaps it might have some air in it still

4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Was it heavy wet snow you were pushing?

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Boss slowed the plow down. Sounds like you were plowing in scoop and the snow was wet. If so,next time start backing up then lift plow. Or start to lift plow as you get to the end of your run.

6. delong17

delong17 Senior Member
    from 48009

It's it was 1.5" of cement. 2" of snow then rained on for 5 hours.

7. delong17

delong17 Senior Member
    from 48009

Yes, scoop and wet. We were pushing puddles of slush around. First time using a v and just seemed less efficient besides the scoop mode, than a straight blade

8. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Hard to determine any problems with just the one push of wet, heavy snow. I had problems the other day when we had about two inches of snow and it rained for hours and hours on top of it as well. Just wait and try it on some "normal" snow and see how it works then. I can normally stack like a monster, but not on that stuff.

9. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Did you know you can plow with a v plow in straight mode?:D

10. CjBonavenia

CjBonavenia Member

We have one 9-2 dxt and it did the same thing the dealer said he tightened up the screw witch if for the relief pressure or something like that it is a little better but still to soft also in a little bit of gravel with the plow straight the wings filed back it sucks we got all western mvp3 after these prob and the work great no prob at all the wings ever fold back unless of corse you hit something really hard lol

11. delong17

delong17 Senior Member
    from 48009

Thanks for the advise. I am gonna wait to plow a decent storm until I bring it in to the dealer then for sure. Thank you guys. Any of you with DTX's have wings? I'm thinking about getting a set for added productivity. Have so properties that are long pushes and extra width help a lot. Does anyone know specifications of wings in "vee" mode? How wide in v, straight, and scoop mode.

12. delong17

delong17 Senior Member
    from 48009

Yeah but I haven't gotten the finesse of getting it in straight mode yet. Like putting it in scoop mode and then approaching a curb its hard to tell if it's straight or slightly in v or scoop.

13. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

That's why I hate the boss controller lol. Western > boss

14. delong17

delong17 Senior Member
    from 48009

Yeah, im somewhat dissapointed but honestly i think its just learning curve. Havent really put it to the test. If the wings work out well for us, i will buy two more and replace all of our straight blades.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
  15. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

7 DXT's here. All have wings. Won't plow without them.

16. delong17

delong17 Senior Member
    from 48009

glad to hear. what do you have pushing them. I run three 6.4l power strokes and the weight is my only concern even with air bags on each of the trucks and upgraded shocks.

What do your wings costs if you don't mind me asking? somewhere around $800

17. Ramitt

Ramitt Senior Member

My dxt seems normal to me comparing it to our meyer straight blade.. Never noticed it being slow or anything..

As far as the controls the boss has less buttons so it takes a little learning to get used to it.. I like it better than the western controller now that im used to it.

18. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

The controller is super simple just as long as you learn how to use it. You have to realize it's the same as a straight blade but you have to push the two right buttons to move the whole plow to the right. Once you get it, it is awesome! It only took a couple how on easy snow to figure it out. You'll get it and love it!

19. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

Yea have 8 buttons do the job of 6. Sounds like a winner to me :dizzy:

20. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

Only a complete moron would suggest Western/Fisher handheld v plow controllers are more simple than Boss handhelds. That's just ignorant.

4 are 5.9/6.7 Cummins Dodges, 2 are 6.4 Hemi Dodges, and the last is a 6.2 Ford. All but the last one are 8'2" plus wings. Last one is 9'2", but that setup has yet to see snow.

Around 800 is pretty average for the wings.