1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2015 Acting Up

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by I RocDuP I, Jan 10, 2015.

1. I RocDuP I

I RocDuP I Member

Ok so Im having a few problems that I haven't had before. First off its a brand new truck that I had ordered. 2015 F250 Lariat 6.2 with plow prep package. Had an 8' Hiniker that was on my Chevy but transferred it over to the new truck. Yesterday was the first time I was able to take the truck out and plow some dust. Drove about 15 minutes to my first lot made a few passes then noticed when I was coming up on the plow my dashboard lights and radio would shut off. The gauges were still working just the lights were off, and the radio screen was still on because the reverse camera was working. About a few seconds later everything would click back on. This would only happen when I was coming all the way up on the blade. Plowed for about 4 hours and by the end of the storm I was trying to get it to happen but couldn't duplicate the problem. Only thing that I could make happen was draw enough of an electrical load that I would hear some click or like reset behind the dashboard, not the plow solenoid and that when I drove forward and got up to 12mph or so the doors would lock. The doors would lock every time I heard that noise behind the dashboard. Called my plow installer he blames it on a ford problem and I know ford is going to say its something with the plow because it only happens when plowing.

Anyone have anything similar happen? I did notice that the plow power wire on the battery is directly ontop of the wire feeding the fuse box. Bigger battery, second battery, wiring issue?

2. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Yes that is one reason why I got rid of my truck
    Ford blamed plow installer but it is a 6.2 thing several people have this issue by me and different people installed the plows all western but 3 different installers
    Second batt won't help and a tray is $500 you need a bigger alt and I only found them for $700+
    Good luck
    Btw what I did was let ford have truck over night start truck cold then right away move plow and they saw the drop in Amps
    My truck also ruined my tires in 20,000 miles with 5 rotations and alignments all in range
    And my breaks would squeak every time i used them ford didn't have a solution except to say putting a 400 pound Atv in bed was too much and it caused the front tires to be choppy and ruin them I never towed anything with it
    Ford knows there is an issue but can't fix

3. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Do a search here. All my last 4 personal trucks (11,12,13,14) have done this. Bussell Forest had a thread going last month. It's no big deal on my end and I have a diesel with twin batteries and dual alternators. It has something to do with the BCM as I suspect.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  4. Sprag-O

Sprag-O Senior Member

Fisher XV2 on my 2012 6.2. Plow prep gives you a 200amp alternator. Never seen this issue.

Earlier this week I was jumping the wifes car, and melted my 6g cables. They were dead shorting on the truck side for close to a minute before I saw what was going on. Dash lights were still bright, heater was still blowing, nothing said "Hey, you have a 100+ amp short turning your truck into a welder."

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Don't matter.Ford/Chevy/ Dodge,What is happening the are putting smaller batteries in the tuck and just can;t handle the extra stain on it. Most of the time after the tuck warms up and fluid gets hot things will calm down. Just pick up the biggest battery that will fit.

6. hellion

hellion Member

Have 2014 Ram 3500 srw 6.4 hemi with factory dual alternators with Boss 9.2 and not having any problems. Unknown battery amp size. I would like to think Ford would remedy the problem with the plow prep package that was specd out.

7. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Bingo. Ford is working on a fix. Probably a reflash.
    BCM reads the draw on the system as an issue and temporarily shuts down non essential systems. It does no damage. Fisher tech support told me this, and the dealer confirmed.

8. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Not the battery. See my post above.

9. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

My 06 5.4L did this 2 or 3 times over the summer. No plow on (obviously) no trailer hooked up. I was sitting at a light and all dash lights and radio went out, all gauges still worked then about 15 seconds they came back on. I have a new battery and newer alt and checked everything and bat. and alt were doing what they should. A couple buddies of mine are Ford Foremen at the same dealer and they both said sounds like a ground issue. Please let us know if and when you find something.

10. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

John with DD post something about this last week or so. The problem has been around since the 2011 year, must be a big reflash to write.

11. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Just wanted to add, when mine did this, again all dash and radio lights went out but the brake light came on.

12. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

My 2012 does it at times. Dash lights dim and it will turn my heated seat off. Sometimes it will happen 2-3x in an hour and other times it won't do it at all while plowing.

13. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Say my 2015 Chassis with my MVP I never seen a issue So far I have the plow prep and Big Alt
    I like to add another battery haven't got around to put it in Since it has a Hoist under the flat bed extra battery would help it

14. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I can't edit my post anymore due to time. I forgot to say my 2012 has dual alternators and two batteries. I find it hard to believe that with all that producing/storing power the plow still manages to create such a draw it overloads the truck but I've seen weirder things happen.

15. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

Douglas Dynamics released a bulletin on this issue last Thursday. It actually has to do with the high current produced by the big alternators on these trucks when the plow is drawing hard on the system. Some systems, such as the radio, dash, etc, are very sensitive to this high current, and it causes them to reset. Their temporary solution is to run many accessories to "absorb" some of the excess charging current. We have experienced this issue with a number of new Chevy 2500s, and it was remedied by adding a second battery. However, after receiving DD's bulletin last week, I feel that the second battery is acting as a sink for some of the excess charging current, which solves the issue, rather than helping by means of extra amperage, which would typically be the case when adding a second battery.

I posted a PDF of the bulletin on the second page of this thread:

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=159983

16. cubicinches

Here is the bulletin:

Attached Files:

• DD2.pdf
      File size:
      420.2 KB
      Views:
  17. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Thats interesting. I ran into a simalar problem with our superduty last winter, but it turned out the alt wasn't producing enough. Replaced the alt and it has been good since. Man, vehicles were so much easier to diagnose back in the day... All this computerized stuff is for the birds...

18. cubicinches

A failing alternator would definitely produce similar symptoms, as the charging output falters. Not sure if you're referring to the super duty in your signature, but this issue, and the related service bulletin, are relevant only to very late model trucks.

19. Antlerart06

Dual Alternators what for
    I can see running dual batteries

Maybe you need to look at your plow and test it maybe it has some problems

I never needed Dual Alternators

20. Antlerart06

After reading that I can see why I havent seen a problem I plow with window down and heat running full all the time and lights on bright since I have them adjusted lower then they should be
    I will check next time out and try not run much to see if I get it to act up. If it does then DD would be right

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015