1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2015 2500HD Snow plow prep trucks?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Fjtort2, Nov 14, 2014.

1. Fjtort2

Fjtort2 Member

Silly question?? What does the button do on the overhead console by the rearview mirror and sunglass holder? Thanks.

2. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

with plow prep that is for your overhead emergency light . comes pre wired at least it is in the 2015 I have on order not sure when they started to prep it that way .

3. Fjtort2

Fjtort2 Member

Great thanks for the quick reply! Where does it plug in to?

4. That switch has come on GM trucks with plow prep for years and is intended for a roof mounted light. It used to be dash mounted but in '15 it's in the overhead console. The wiring is coiled up in the headliner and usually terminates over by the drivers side door pillar. you have to partially pull down the headliner to get it. In the past I've been able to grab it through the rear external cab/third brake light. I believe its a 20 amp circuit.

5. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

My 2006 has the plow prep package and I drilled a hole in the roof installed a grommet sealed it and put the light right over the connection.If your going for the not so clean look you can drill a hole in the third brake light and run the wire that way.

6. ratherbfishin

ratherbfishin Senior Member

X2...I use the switch on both my trucks for my bumper mount LED backup lights!

7. Robinson_Cnst

Robinson_Cnst Senior Member

What do you guys with strobes that can change patterns do? I have the switch but still use the cigarette lighter.

8. chevyzrule810

It's an on off switch

9. Robinson_Cnst

Robinson_Cnst Senior Member

So it's kinda pointless since most of the led strobes can change pattern lol

10. chevyzrule810

I used to have a roof light but I took it off and put strobes in and now the switch controls the spotlights on my back rack

11. chevyzrule810

I guess if you liked one pattern you could use the switch to turn them on and off

12. timboy

timboy Member
    from Ny

When I install a roof light with selectable patterns I put a second small momentary button near the factory switch to toggle through the patterns.
    RadioShack has discreet buttons that mount in a 1/2" hole that work great for this.

13. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

Actually, my 09' has it in the overhead console also.
    So for 15' GM got cheap and only left us 12" of wire, taped to other wires, so it gets you guessing if it's the right wires or not.

14. Mr. Jon

Mr. Jon Senior Member
    from Jersey

Just installed my LED bar on my 2015 3500HD. There was only about 4" of wire to work with, right above the switch. The green is power and black is ground. Just pop the piece of plastic off that the switch is on. I added the small momentary switch (1/4" hole) from Radio Shack so I can switch patterns. It was a ***** to snake the wire back to the 3rd brake light in a crew cab but I got it without removing the headliner. I only removed the overhead light for the back seat.

15. rblake

rblake Senior Member
    from dayton

Mr. jon, did you run the wires out the back or through the roof. I have one to do next week. Pictures would be great.

16. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

On my 2004, I ended up going out the cab vents which are between the bed and cab. Then ran it up between bed and cab and up my BackRack to my strobe. No holes, no leaks.

17. Mr. Jon

Mr. Jon Senior Member
    from Jersey

I ran the wires through the bottom of the third brake light

KIMG0101.jpg

18. rblake

rblake Senior Member
    from dayton

thanks I hated the thought of drilling

19. chevyzrule810

I was going to say my dads 2012 has it in the overhead console

20. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

No screws holding the plate with the switch? Does the entire console come off in one piece, including lights and sunglass holder?