1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2015 2500hd 6.0gas or Duramax?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Fjtort2, Aug 14, 2014.

1. Fjtort2

Fjtort2 Member

Can't make up my mind on which power train to get? It will be mated to a 8'2 Boss V-DXT. Also pulling lawn trailer in the summer. Mostly commercial lots will be conquered in this rig. Do I save 8-10k and go gas?:dizzy:

2. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Absolutely. The only way to justify a diesel now is if you're towing 13k plus daily. Diesels don't get the mileage they used to so the price difference is never balanced by fuel costs.

3. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Agreed...... payup

4. Fjtort2

Fjtort2 Member

Thanks for the quick response! May have just saved a bunch of money! :)

5. SnowGuy73

I have the 6.0 in three trucks 2005, 2007, and 2013. Zero problems!

6. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Diesel guy here..... Buy the gasser

7. RONK

RONK Senior Member
    from NJ

I agree with the others,I've had two diesels,a Ford 7.3 and a Dodge 5.9,I now have a 2011 GMC 6.0.The 6.0 plowed every thing the diesels did,was much less expensive to buy,less expensive to fuel and less expensive to maintain.Some might argue the resale on a gas truck is less,it's all relative,they cost less in the first place.The new diesels as was mentioned are getting worse gas mileage than the old ones and are even more expensive and complicated too.Good luck,let us know what you decide and post pictures,please.

8. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I will never own another diesel! We have a 6.0L F350 and while its been basically trouble free it has cost us a lot compared to our gassers. Our 5.4L F250 has plowed as much snow as the diesel does and it tows a 24ft enclosed trailer every day. It might get a hair better fuel mileage plowing but not enough to justify it if I was considering buying another. I only bought it to tow our skid steer if we ever go out of town again and I got a pretty good deal. We can plow for about a day and a half straight on the gasser and about 2 days on the diesel. Fuel being the biggest issue, regular unleaded now around here is 3.45/gal and diesel is still between 4.15-4.39/gal and if your filling up trucks all winter long like we did last season it adds up, then add in the cost of maintenance...fuel filters twice a year $120.00, oil change 95.00 (if you do it yourself), and now the new diesels (at least Fords) have to run the additive thats another 40 bucks per oil change. Even when you do chips, air intakes etc. it seems you need to do 10 other things to make it all work together. No thanks!

9. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

x2. Besides my atv everything I own is diesel. Buy a gas truck.

10. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

X3. I'm done with diesel.

11. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

I'm going against the grain here. I still prefer the diesel. While the 6.0 may be just fine most days, there is be a day when you say I wish I had the extra torque. I have both, and plowing or towing anything I prefer my diesel.

Also on fuel mileage I do 16-20 on the diesel, 10-12 on the gasser. Pretty big difference when you do the math. On top of all that my diesel FMV right now is nearly $10k higher the a gas equivalent. I didn't pay $10k different. Maintenance isn't a big difference, it only holds 4 extra quarts of oil and fuel filters aren't that big a deal. TO each their own though.

12. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

"Maintenance isn't a big difference"? Ummm it's a huge difference! My 5.4L holds 6 qts of oil, my 6.0L holds 15 or 16. The fuel filter on a gasser is around 10-15 bucks, on my diesel it's about 70 bucks a set x twice a year. If I had someone do my oil changes on the gas truck it's around 35.00, on the diesel your looking around 170.00! So yeah, it's a huge difference. But like you said, to each their own. Hell these new diesels, you can barely even hear the turbo spool up, where's the fun in that!

13. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

you know the biggest thing bad about a diesel and I have one is no one wants to repair at least any one in my area that is close besides paying dealer rates. you pay more for the fuel more to buy it now you have to buy def for it and it has more electronic stuff than it's older predicessors. as far as plowing I plow my whole route 1 storm in 4wd mostly and use about half tank of fuel.
    These would be the only way I would get another diesel today it stays under bumper to bumper warranty you trade it after that and get new and if your getting double the miles than a gasser. or if your just plane well off and want to say you have a big boys toy with a diesel. I'm looking into getting another truck and it's gas. and I love diesels love the smell love the noise but there comes a time that you just cant justify the almost 10K extra for it .
    and paying more at the pump there was a time that diesel was well below regular gas .

14. Fjtort2

Fjtort2 Member

Test drove a '15 WT 2500HD Double Cab 6.0... To get a a feel of the engine. Felt damn good! What are they getting on the highway empty? I know it sucks but figured i'd ask? 12-14MPG i'm guessing?

15. Fjtort2

Fjtort2 Member

Well said!

16. gallihersnow

gallihersnow Senior Member

My '08 gets about 10 mpg. It's never empty though, nor do I do much highway driving. It's a pure work truck. 4x2 ext cab 8' bed.

Our worn out '03 does around the same. It's also a 4x2 ext cab 8' bed.

17. jerpa

jerpa Member

My 2013 Reg Cab LB gets about 10-12 in stop and go city driving with the usual load of 6-700lbs of tools plus supplies which varies. About 14-15 on the highway similarly loaded and another MPG or so empty. Plowing I get about 8 fully loaded with salt, spreader, and plow.

Those numbers will be greatly diminished if you like the feel of that engine too much.

18. SnowGuy73

My 2013 crew cab 6.0 gets 10 empty with a mix of city and highway driving.

19. Cosmic Charlie

Cosmic Charlie Senior Member

My 11 HD25 6.0 Extended SLT short bed 4.11's

gets about 13-14 mpg combined (mostly highway at 75 mph) with 200 lbs constantly in the bed ...

love that truck, looks great (Black) plows snow (9' Fisher) & tows my boat 2008 Crownline 255 CCR

photo 5!.JPG

images 1.jpg

20. CjBonavenia

CjBonavenia Member

I have a 2015 d max has 10000 on it now and I get 16-20 mpg my 08 did not get above 15 mpg for some reason I would not get a gas the 6.0 can't get out of its own way we have 2 2014 6.0 and if we get 9-10 mpg we r doing good hook a 5000 lb trailer to it for get it what a pig diesel is worth every penny also when u get rid of the truck it is always worth that much more so it's not like you are throwing the extra money out the window and you will never say man I wish I had more power