1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2015 2500 rear end

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by dstifel, Feb 15, 2016.

1. dstifel

dstifel Senior Member
    from Iowa

I have a ram 15 2500 that has something going on in the rear end under a load whether it be toeing or pushing. The best way I can describe it is when u do a dry burnout and you truck "hops". It does it especially when turning and always when from dead stop to about 10-15 mph. Has happened in 2x4 and 4x4. Any idea? Going into dealer for the second time Wednesday just need to get it taken care of before landscape season starts.

Thanks

2. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

change the rear.diff fluid .make sure you use the correct weight and syn.

3. dstifel

dstifel Senior Member
    from Iowa

Will have them try that while its in there

4. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

I know its a new truck but check the rear leaf springs .My friends ford did that we couldn't figure it out . Turned out it had a cracked spring . Could barley see it but thats what it was .

5. dstifel

dstifel Senior Member
    from Iowa

This one has bags and coils

6. johnhenry1933

johnhenry1933 Senior Member

Posilock???

7. dstifel

dstifel Senior Member
    from Iowa

Dodge Said my truck should of had the rear end serviced at 10,000 miles and if that didn't get done its probably shot and will order a new one and have it done by tomorrow said its their fault if didn't get done because it was here at 10,000 miles something about how they put almost a "break in oil" in the rear diff and they should have changed it when it came in for second oil change. Records show it didn't get done. Anyone ever heard of this??

8. scottr

scottr Senior Member

NEVER. Break in oil in a rear Diff. That goes for 10K miles, I call BS. 10K on normal gear oil is nothing, and I know yours came with synthetic oil in the diffs.
    A new free rear axel is nice of them however.

9. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

You need to ask them if it needs to come in in 10,000 miles from now to change it again. If they are putting a new rear end in it it should have the same break in oil. If not something is fishy.

10. hbrady

hbrady Senior Member

Interesting .. subscribed

11. hbrady

hbrady Senior Member

Out of curiosity I looked this up in the 2015 manual, it shows this for every 20K miles.

Inspect the front and rear axle surfaces. If gear oil leakage is suspected, check the fluid level. If using your vehicle for police, taxi, fleet, off-road or frequent trailer towing, change axle fluid.

12. dstifel

dstifel Senior Member
    from Iowa

Yeah I thought it sounded weird myself we will see what happens they have my truck now I'll let you know when I get a phone call as to what they find

13. scottr

scottr Senior Member

Upon further thought, I first read this as "break in oil" as a special type of oil. I could see a manufacture wanting a gear lube change after so many miles on a new diff. after the gears are broke in ( wear and polish )
    Sooooo I go on record as lessening my call for BS, but not to the point of taking out a rear end. No way. if the particulates from initial break in are left in there, the worst you would see in 10K is a pre mature seal leak IMO.

14. cl733

cl733 Senior Member
    from Canada

Posi fluid additive? wheel spinning could lock in the posi and keep it locked up and when you start to turn the locked up posi could make you hop into a corner due to the fact of a non open carrier?
    taking out a rear end that soon because the oil wasnt changed doesnt sound right at all

15. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Huh, that's a new one.

16. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

there have been a few noted issues,as rare as they are with the rereads on some of the newer diffs/ trucks.

2015,2500/3500 Model axles DO NOT REQUIRE any limited
    slip oil additive (friction modifiers).p781 of your owners manual

they don,t use break in oil.

the drain interval has come down.
    its 32k recommended change intervals on mine.

. 2015ram .PNG
    http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/owners/manuals/

I think your dealer is grasping at straws for some reason.
    call the help line.

2015ram .PNG

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  17. hbrady

hbrady Senior Member

20K Miles or 32K Kilometers. Funny, I bought my truck used w/ 25k miles and it was previously a 'fleet' vehicle. I'll be checking with dealer to see if they changed that fluid as part of the pre-sale process. Something tells me the answer will be no :cool:

18. dstifel

dstifel Senior Member
    from Iowa

Ok update there is a part in the manual that says under extreme conditions to change at 10k. Now while I don't agree that in in "extreme" conditions which they consider anything with a plow, they are taking care of me 100% and should have my rig back tomorrow. Said they would stay late to finish if need be. Told them not to worry about that but I appreciate the offer. It is getting a whole near rear diff. Glad to see someone still backs there products even if do have some questionable reasons upon while it failed.

19. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Most trucks that use synthetic don't need modifier anymore.. Most

20. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

It doesn't need a modifier, becuse it doesn't have any clutches.

But useing a gear lube with the modifier will not
    Hurt it.