1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2015-2016 season

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by FISHERBOY, Aug 9, 2015.

1. FISHERBOY

FISHERBOY Senior Member

Since were in August I thought it would be a good time to see what everyone plans are for this winter. Have you sent bids out,? got contracts signed?, got some new toysThumbs Up.

I'll start in preparation for this winter, I started on March 31 of this year, I sold my backhoe, and my seasonal contract ended thankfully. What looked good on paper certainly didn't work out in the real world as the last two winters here in the northeast proved. I'm very excited about this season, less is more.
    I will miss the other site I plowed for 10 years,(6 acres) the property manger wants one contractor to due both places, silly as it sounds.
    Hope to here from all you, i''l keep everyone update with weather as much as possible

Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
  2. dodgegmc1213

dodgegmc1213 PlowSite.com Addict

So far we only got one site and it's the last season on our 3 year deal, got 2 other sites we need to give bids to. Hopefully we start seeing some more calls for sites

3. Ty27

Ty27 Senior Member

We are pretty much booked up so far for this year. Got three more locations to plow then Last year in 1 contract, but the lots are close to the others and not very big, and we have plowed them before so no big deal there. Definitely will get another salt spreader that a friend is selling, just haven't talked to him yet.

I've been hearing that there is a GOOD chance of a strong El Niño this year, but that's all I've heard so far for next winter.

4. dodgegmc1213

dodgegmc1213 PlowSite.com Addict

Oh yea forgot we also rebid on a site we've done for the past 3 years, got a feeling we're not gonna get it this year do to a local landscape company started mowing it this summer and they cut throat on everything but they suck at plowing

5. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Ok I do work for a mgmt company that handles A&P they are chapter 11 I have a another year left on contract
    What would you do?
    Keep equipment needed to do accounts free incase they still have to plow or start booking up that equipment
    Both mgmt co and guys inside A&P both say as of today we are on for service
    So I ask what would you do

6. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I wouldn't do it. Look for other accounts.

7. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

I do their corporate headquarters so I doubt they will be 100% done by winter but also worry about payment
    I have all my bids in and will know by next week
    Also I am working with a 300 apartment complex and will know about that in 2 weeks I spent 6 hours with the president of the association they are throwing out current guy at end of month and want me to step in
    That's $130,000 account so I'm more interested in this then final year of contact going chapter 11
    But I will uphold my agreement some how

8. Ty27

Ty27 Senior Member

Forgot to add we may get a 8' boss box plow for our 763 bobcat. Has anyone used this setup? Trying not to get off topic...

9. FISHERBOY

FISHERBOY Senior Member

hi

I think a member out in western pa that has a boss box plow, and your not off topic.

10. Ty27

Ty27 Senior Member

Alright good, I was wondering about how it will do in snow and ice, the pushing power, and just general performance in a snow storm. The loader would only be out if there were 6"+ of snow, and would most likely be dropped off at a site before the start of the event. If we need to trailer it to another location that's not a big deal, the only lots it would be at are all in the same town.

I see on boss's site it says 45+ horsepower for the box, and I'm pretty sure the kubota that's in it is a 46 hp. Engine. Thanks in advance guys!

11. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Get snow tires makes a huge difference
    And plow with storm don't wait till it's over

12. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

If it's not a 2 speed ( didn't bother looking up if the 763 was made with 2 speed option ) it will struggle with 6"+ of snow. Snow tires will help but you need to get some momentum going. 8' box will be a lot to push when full for that machine. If it's very short pushes it will work better.

13. f150skidoo

f150skidoo Member

Bought a 320 Deere skid steer back in April and now i just gotta get a pusher for it. Now just gotta pray for NO SNOW this winter.

14. Ty27

Ty27 Senior Member

What snow tires would you recommend?
    Yes we know to plow with the Storm, people here freak out in just an inch.

15. Ty27

Ty27 Senior Member

I'm almost positive it's not a two speed, but the passes it will be making at the location it will be at ( small retirement community) will be short. The lot is oddly shaped, it's a long narrow strip with homes on one side and cars on the other. Thanks guys for your help, Ty27

16. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

single speed skids are brutally slow.. we have one, a 319D Deere track machine so its limited to like 6mph wide open. We've used it even up to last season but it was on a fairly small lot with a bunch of turning.. anything large, long pushes, long runs, you'll be screaming you need more speed the whole time!

We've changed our track machines so far "all Deeres 2010+" over to their ow40 synthetic oil so they're half functional when you first start them when its 0-15deg outside, before they'd limp around for the first 10 minutes until they get some heat into the hydraulic/engine oil.

17. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Couple subs had boss box plows, left alot of trash behind compared to pro tech or arctic boxes.

18. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I am in a holding pattern. Lost one driveway due to owner's death, but he was my biggest PITA. Not too distressed about it. Not looking to expand beyond what I do now for the time being.

19. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Were they new box or old ones

20. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Looked like they were fairly new.