1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7L DC with 7'6" Fisher

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by scooper87, Jan 7, 2015.

1. scooper87

scooper87 Member

Got a 2014 tundra back in July with a 7'6" fisher SD with the newer style 2 plug hook ups on it. I ended up putting a 2.5" leveling kit on the truck for better appearance as well as lift the plow mounts up off the ground a bit, which lead to new tires (little bigger) for better traction in the snow. OEM tires sucked! New LED lightbar is going on the truck tonight and tires go on this Friday so i will post those pics once its done.

Heres a few pics of it with the plow on before the leveling kit and a pic of it after the kit was installed.

tundra plow_1.jpg

Tundra plow.jpg

tundra_AFTER.jpg

2. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Those Tundras are growing on me. Nice rig, Masshole!

3. scooper87

scooper87 Member

Thanks. Tough little trucks for 1/2 ton. I haul my boat around with it all summer which it about 7000lbs with no issues.

4. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Nice Tundra and plow. The SD is a good plow. I used to have one when I plowed with my Dad's 2010 Tundra and it was very rugged and dependable for such a light plow. If you are using it for personal or light commercial use it will be a great plow for you. When I bought my 2012 Rock Warrior I went with the 8' HD Fisher because I knew the truck could handle it and the extra six inches helps a lot on the S turn in my driveway. Good choice getting a leveling kit and bigger tires, Tundras sit to low stock especially with push plates and the stock tire are garbage. What size tires are you running now?

5. scooper87

scooper87 Member

Yea i totally agree, they did sit way too low stock. I'm pretty impressed with the blade, keeping the poly cutting edge on it because we a parking structure and the roof of it is epoxy coated so you cant use steel cutting edges on it. I like on the HD's how the head unit is taller so the headlights are actually over the hood.

Stock tires are horrible. when i had my 2010, i ran them for 60k miles (but i out 55k on the truck in the first year, all highway for work) and then went with a set of Nitto Crosstek's which were a great tire. On my 2014, i went with Cooper Discoverer AT3's 275/70R18. Little over 33" tire but not too much wider. I really didnt feel like getting into tire rub and trimming, buying wheel spacers etc. Next up im gonna get the storage organizer/ gun rack for under the rear seat and putting in firestone airbags to help with hauling my boat. i bought the hellwig helper springs but i'm not really sold on them so i think i'm just gonna bite the bullet and get the airbags.

6. mercer_me

I don't blame you for sticking with the poly edge for your application. My Dad is running 275/70R18 Good Year Wrangler Duratracs on his Tundra right now and I think next time he is going to go with 285/75R18 BFG All Terrains, I'm currently running 285/75R17 BFG All Terrains and I love them. I have air bags that came with my Tundra when I bought it used. I'm not sure what brand they are. I haven't used them yet but I think they will help a lot.

7. scooper87

scooper87 Member

Here's a pretty good resource for comparing tire sizes and seeing how big of a tire it really is. Gives you a bit of a visual as well.

http://tire-size-conversion.com/tire-size-comparison/

8. mercer_me

The link isn't working for me for some reason.

9. scooper87

scooper87 Member

Sorry bout that. Try this one:

http://tire-size-conversion.com/tire-size-comparison/

If not, copy and paste this into the browser:

tire-size-conversion.com/tire-size-comparison/

10. mercer_me

Thanks for sharing. I really like that site. I'm going to add it to my favorites so I won't forget it.

11. scooper87

scooper87 Member

Got the new tires installed last night. They look good, ride real nice (only highway so far, my commute is about 11 miles highway into Boston where I work). found that the tires are rubbing just a little when i cut the wheel hard over and they rub on the front mud flaps, easy fix for that though. We are supposed to get a little snow today but nothing major, quick little coating to an 1".

new tires_1.jpg

new tires_2.jpg

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  12. mercer_me

The new tires looks good. You will be a lot more happy with them than the stock ones.

13. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I like those trucks in the reg. cab short bed version. One of those with a 7.5 Fisher SD or similar, and a Toro blower would make for a boss of a driveway rig.

14. mercer_me

There was a guy in my town that had a regular cab short box Tundra and it was a sharp looking truck. I would go with a 7.5' HD instead of the SD though.

15. scooper87

scooper87 Member

Finally got to work the truck yesterday and last night. Was really impressed with how it did. Worked it all day and night on a few commercial accounts and shopping plazas doing loading docks and stuff, did great and now on for this suposively mega storm coming Monday night in MA.

16. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Pics or it didn't happen!

17. mercer_me

Glad to hear the Tundra is working well for you. You will get to give it a good work out on Tuesday.

18. scooper87

scooper87 Member

About 28" south of Boston. Truck did great for what we did. was actually really impressed. not weight in the bed and no issues. and it helps if you dont beat the bag outta the truck too!
    tundra snow.jpg

tundra snow.jpg

19. scooper87

scooper87 Member

Made it through another 14" storm last night. switched over to a sleet for an hour and then temps dropped to around so had some areas of hard pack but majority of it was real light and fluffy. 42" within a week and still more to come they say...

snow_1.jpg
    quick shot of the truck

snow_2.jpg
    roof deck i plow...the pic only shows about 75% of it.

snow_1.jpg

snow_2.jpg

20. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

You plow that entire thing with a 7'6" blade? My lord that must take forever.